Roger Clemens is going to be part of Mariano Rivera’s farewell in Houston

Sep 25, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT

Roger Clemens AP

The Yankees finish in Houston. And, as has happened in every other city Mariano Rivera has bid farewell, he will get a sendoff there too. And an old friend will be part of that:

Rivera’s final goodbye ceremony will come in Houston, where the Yankees will play their last game of the regular season against the Astros. And that’s where things probably get a little awkward, at least for some people. For scheduled to take part in the pregame ceremony is none other than Roger Clemens, now a special front-office assistant for the Astros who was a teammate of Rivera’s in New York for five-plus seasons.

Not sure why that’s awkward given that Alex Rodriguez has been playing third base to Rivera’s right for several years and given that Andy Pettitte had his own Yankee Stadium farewell in front of Rivera just last weekend.

But as we have learned over the past few years, not all PED users are the created equally.

1. nategearhart - Sep 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

• historiophiliac - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

“Awkward” is vague and less hostile. Also, then it implies that the problem is the PED’s issue instead of that Clemens is a jerk and raging narcissist who is likely to make the Mo tribute all about the Rocket. It is, however, somewhat awkward to have such an unabashed lying sack of crap pay tribute to one of the classiest guys in baseball. I know I would feel uncomfortable watching Mo be gracious to that turd. I wish Mo would shush him like Joba.

• nategearhart - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

It would definitely be awkward if Mo doesn’t like Clemens, but do we know if that’s the case? I’m not too familiar with the Yankees’ off-the-field drama. Serious question.

• narfmoo12 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Clemens is a “lying sack of crap” … if you choose to believe the testimony of a drug-dealer who was also the subject of a sexaul assault investigation involving the date rape drug.

…It seems like the only people who have a problem with Clemens are trolls on the internet, because the Astros don’t, minor league prospects don’t, and apparently Rivera doesn’t.

• historiophiliac - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I love how you assume that I’m talking about PED’s (I’m not) and forget everything else about Clemens. He claimed in a 60 Minutes interview that he did not intentionally hit batters and his own teammates call bullshit on that. Also, he denied having an inappropriate relationship with Mindy McCready — but you notice he didn’t sue her for defamation, and she isn’t apparently the only affair he had. So, I do generally consider him a lying sack of crap and that’s completely aside from what I think about his alleged PED use.

• historiophiliac - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Oh, and I forgot his racist statement about Japanese people.

• yahmule - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, only trolls think he’s a colossal prick.

So why did your hero hang around with such a scumbag in the first place?

• narfmoo12 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Because the Blue Jays hired him to be the strength and conditioning coach. Clemens didn’t ask Toronto to hire him.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I don’t wish to be mistaken for a fan of Clemens or his behavior. I’m not. But this seems like sportswriters trying to stir the pot. Quite a few players are jerks. Quite a few players probably took PED’s. Clemens was never sanctioned. And he was, in hit time, an exceptional pitcher and a teammate of Rivera’s. If Mo is cool with it, so am I.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

“in his time”

• apkyletexas - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

@nategearhart – “I’m guessing the writer meant “unfortunate” which, as anyone who is paid real money to write things should be able to tell you, is not synonymous with “awkward”.”

Why the hell is it “unfortunate”? Roger Clemens has been a freaking Jesus-sized hero in Texas, all the way back to his high school and college days. He pitched the Longhorns to a college World Series title, and pitched the Astros all the way into a World Series for f*cks sake. He pinch hit and pitched 3 relief innings to pick up the win over the Braves in the longest game in playoff history. He’s a living legend, like Nolan Ryan and Roger Staubach. People name their babies after him.

This isn’t Boston. Nobody in Texas gives a crap about what Boston or New York thinks about a guy. In fact, it’s pretty fair to say that no one in Texas gives a crap about what Boston or New York think about just about anything. Which might not be a bad thing, all things considered.

• nategearhart - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM

You’d have to ask the writer. I never said I agree with him. In fact, I the opposite of agree with him. I’m all for it…unless it turns out Mo doesn’t actually like the guy.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Screw ‘em in the ear, that’s what I say! YEE-HAW!!

I’M ALL WORKED UP NOW…WHERE’S MY SISTER?

• psousa1 - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual sh!tburger.

Astros special assistant probably spends more time at Fenway Park than in Minute Maid or whatever the hell they call it……

• apkyletexas - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

@aceshigh – “Yeah, those goddamned limp-wristed, faggot-assed, Jewy, northeastern liberals…with their reliance on learning and books and facts.”

I see you’ve never met one of our many good old gun-toting, Prius-driving, Vegan-eating, pot-smoking, Buddha-meditating, multi-lingual Texas hippy cowboys?

Northeastern liberals can’t hold a candle to Texas liberals. Using an iPhone and being part of the LGBT community won’t get you a liberal card in Texas – not even close.

• apkyletexas - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

@psousa1 – “I’m pretty sure the feeling is mutual sh!tburger.”

Bite me. Don’t you have a Kennedy or a Weiner to campaign for?

• paperlions - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I lived in TX for over 10 years and have lived in CT for the last 7. Here they call people with political sensibilities similar to Texas liberals “republicans”.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Well put Texas. The last paragraph summed it up nicely as well. The vanity of some people makes me cringe.

2. aceshigh11 - Sep 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Clemens is total douchebag, but I’m sure he and Mariano are friends from their playing days together.

As much I dislike him personally, there’s no good reason why he shouldn’t be there to wish Mo well.

• historiophiliac - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Except I think there will be a lot about *him* in his tribute about their playing days together. And, I’m pretty sure the Rocket won’t make a handshake tour of the peons with Mo.

FYI, you need to meet some good southern liberals. They are out there and they are crazy. Not everyone in Texas and similar parts is a crazy conservative.

• stex52 - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

No disclaimers this time, philiac, but I think you are probably too intense on Roger. He is a jerk, but from what I have read his teammates have uniformly friendly with him. And whatever his ego, I think he is too smart to make this one about him. I will even be surprised if he has problems with a handshake tour.

And there are plenty of crazy liberals in Houston. It’s just that right now they are pretty badly outnumbered overall in the state.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Aces…shhh! Just between us…
      But your patronizing post sorta’ proved his point.

3. canucks30 - Sep 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

4. spiderrob8 - Sep 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Craig and others,

The writer didn’t mean unfortunate. and he wasn’t talking about Mariano Rivera, or most of the other players, who supported Clemens publicly and had no issues with him on the team. Once he was on the team, they enjoyed his skills and loyalty (before he was on the team, they weren’t so happy with his beanballs).

and its not because of Clemens PEDs per se.

He meant what he said- awkward at least for some parties i.e. Andy Pettite.

Andy Pettite and Mrs. Pettite have been subpoenaed in McNamee’s civil suit against Clemens for defamation. Pettite is scheduled to testify September 30 I believe. His testimony is going to be crucial if McNamee is going to win his suit (which has a far less burden).

Pettite hasn’t seen or talked to Clemens in 3 or 4 years, after being buddies, when Pettite testified to Congress and his wife provided and affidavit that Clemens told them he used HGH.

Pettite’s testimony-which Congress was extremely impressed with and felt he had no reason to lie-was the main reason Congress sent it to the DOJ for perjury. Without that testimony, Clemens isn’t on trial and facing jailtime. (Pettite ultimately hedged, insuring Clemens’ acquittal).

Pettite has been increasingly acting frustrated and losing his temper at reporters who bring up the upcoming deposition.

Houston said they would honor Pettite in some way at his last start.

THAT’s why it could be awkward for Pettite. “Hey bro, we haven’t talked in 4 years, not since i told Congress you committed a felony and thus by implication perjured yourself, how ya been?”

5. stlouis1baseball - Sep 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My vote for best comment/post/sentence of the day:

“Using an iPhone and being part of the LGBT community won’t get you a liberal card in Texas – not even close.”

And the winner is…
    apkyletexas!

• jimeejohnson - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Texas ain’t all bad.

6. genericcommenter - Sep 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Maybe he’s going to re-gift his “retirement” Hummer.

Three legends off to Cooperstown