Sep 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
Ex-Royal Willie Wilson ran into a rough patch after his playing career ended. He had to file for bankruptcy in 2001 and part of that involved selling his 1985 World Series ring.
Now he has another 1985 World Series ring: The Royals gave Wilson’s business partner permission to have an exact duplicate of the ring made. She led a fundraising effort to get $9,000 to have the work done by Balfour Jewelry, the company which made the original 1985 World Series ring. It was presented to Wilson while he was promoting his autobiography at the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City on Tuesday.
A nice gesture for a guy who has had a lot of ups and downs in his life and career but who has always bounced back.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)