Sep 25, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Ex-Royal Willie Wilson ran into a rough patch after his playing career ended. He had to file for bankruptcy in 2001 and part of that involved selling his 1985 World Series ring.
Now he has another 1985 World Series ring: The Royals gave Wilson’s business partner permission to have an exact duplicate of the ring made. She led a fundraising effort to get $9,000 to have the work done by Balfour Jewelry, the company which made the original 1985 World Series ring. It was presented to Wilson while he was promoting his autobiography at the Negro Leagues Museum in Kansas City on Tuesday.
A nice gesture for a guy who has had a lot of ups and downs in his life and career but who has always bounced back.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)