Sep 26, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: General manager Brian Cashman denied the New York Daily News report linked below, calling it “not accurate” and telling Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that Rodriguez has not asked to skip the final road trip.
UPDATE #2: Joe Girardi also chimed in, saying he expects Rodriguez to be in Houston because “he does not have permission to not be there.”
Teri Thompson of the New York Daily News reports that Alex Rodriguez will not travel with the Yankees to Houston for the last series of the season, skipping the final three games in order to prepare for an arbitration hearing surrounding his performance-enhancing drug suspension.
According to Thompson the Yankees granted Rodriguez permission with the hearing scheduled for next week, which means it’s possible that tonight’s game against the Rays at Yankee Stadium could be A-Rod’s final game in a Yankees uniform for … well, a while.
Rodriguez is facing a 211-game suspension, but has been able to resume playing for the Yankees while his appeal is pending and hit .244 with seven homers and a .771 OPS in 44 games. That’s the lowest OPS of Rodriguez’s career, but still ranks third among all Yankees with at least 100 plate appearances this season behind only Robinson Cano and Alfonso Soriano.
Calcaterra wrote earlier this week about Rodriguez’s legal team, which could be costing him six figures per month.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 0
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)