Sep 26, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: General manager Brian Cashman denied the New York Daily News report linked below, calling it “not accurate” and telling Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that Rodriguez has not asked to skip the final road trip.
UPDATE #2: Joe Girardi also chimed in, saying he expects Rodriguez to be in Houston because “he does not have permission to not be there.”
Teri Thompson of the New York Daily News reports that Alex Rodriguez will not travel with the Yankees to Houston for the last series of the season, skipping the final three games in order to prepare for an arbitration hearing surrounding his performance-enhancing drug suspension.
According to Thompson the Yankees granted Rodriguez permission with the hearing scheduled for next week, which means it’s possible that tonight’s game against the Rays at Yankee Stadium could be A-Rod’s final game in a Yankees uniform for … well, a while.
Rodriguez is facing a 211-game suspension, but has been able to resume playing for the Yankees while his appeal is pending and hit .244 with seven homers and a .771 OPS in 44 games. That’s the lowest OPS of Rodriguez’s career, but still ranks third among all Yankees with at least 100 plate appearances this season behind only Robinson Cano and Alfonso Soriano.
Calcaterra wrote earlier this week about Rodriguez’s legal team, which could be costing him six figures per month.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 33
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)