Behold: Max Scherzer’s goggles

Sep 26, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

We noted this last year when he sported the same eyewear, but this doesn’t stop tickling me. Last night Tigers starter Max Scherzer — who has Heterochromia iridum (i.e.  two different eye colors) — rocked some appropriate goggles in the Tigers AL Central-clinching celebration. From my TV to you:

source:

And yes, because the couple of you who actually saw “Wayne’s World 2″ are already thinking it:

1. heyblueyoustink - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Or, 1.21 Gigawatts.

2. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Why didn’t Detroit get it’s own writeup when they clinched the AL Central HardballTalk?

• dawgpoundmember - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Because Matt was working and he is a Twins fan.

• paperlions - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

You mean, like this post right here that you are commenting on?

• historiophiliac - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

This is technically about the goggles and not a summary of the win.

• paperlions - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM

And? There isn’t a story for every team that clinches something. Whining about your team not being covered enough on a national blog is silly….especially, when the Tiger’s winning the division was expected, happened last year, and was 12 kinds of uninteresting.

• historiophiliac - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Um, other teams have gotten such coverage ( http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/22/nationals-lose-so-braves-clinch-the-nl-east/ ) — and some have gotten it for being eliminated, so quit being crabby. I bet you get one.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I wonder why the Braves got their own write-up…

• paperlions - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Because it was amazing that they didn’t collapse and miss the playoffs all together?

…and…you know, who cares?

3. spacemaker101 - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Bc everyone knew the tigers were gonna clinch before the season started

4. lightcleric - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

It’s the new craze, Craig: champagne popping in 3-D.

(no, I’m not making fun of the guy)

5. whitdog23 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Detroit clinched the AL Central Hardball Talk? wow! division names are getting long

6. beelza - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

The eyes are creepy. Can’t decide if Mad Max is more Harry Potter or XMen.

7. historiophiliac - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I have my goggles. We get some post-season wins, and I’m gonna put up a pic of me in mine!

8. happytwinsfan - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM

the injuns are coming into target field for the weekend and will probably clinch a wc spot here. i hope the tigers were gracious enough to leave behind any un used champaigne and/or goggles in the visitors locker room

• historiophiliac - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM

This I don’t understand: it’s offensive to celebrate on another team’s field but it is totally okay to drench their clubhouse in champagne. I would think you wouldn’t want to clean the room down after a celebration like that. That would seem worse than letting them spray it on the field.

• happytwinsfan - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

yeah spraying champaigne over everything is dumb and no i wouldn’t like cleaning it here, or in detroit. but if the indians clinch their first play off spot in 9000 years i hope they erupt with joy and i’m happy to have seen the tigers enjoy themselves. it doesn’t bother me a bit that it happens on the field or the locker room here. hey – central division – we’re a great big squabbling family (except for maybe the white sox)

9. ikoiko72 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I too have Heterochromia iridum. But I must enlist my late, great father as he reminded me during my young years, and to correct Craig.

“You don’t have two different colored eyes, you have one different colored eye”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet