Brian McCann leaves game with right adductor strain

Sep 26, 2013, 9:27 PM EST

Brian McCann AP AP

David O’Brien of the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reports that Brian McCann left tonight’s game against the Phillies with a right adductor strain.

While an injury is the last thing the Braves need with the playoffs just days away, McCann has been listed as day-to-day. No word on who will enforce baseball’s unwritten rules during his absence, though.

McCann, 29 , is batting .256/.336/.461 with 20 home runs and 57 RBI over 102 games this season. He will be a free agent this winter.

1. nbjays - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Another unwritten rule: Karma’s a bitch.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Poetic justice for McCann I guess. I wonder where he will be next season? NY? Chicago? LA? Detroit? Toronto?

3. flickflint - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Yeah right he left so nobody would try to hit him what a chode.

4. sc101071 - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Guy gets injured and you take pot shots. Blogger tough guy.

• chew1985 - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM

We’re all a caring bunch here. Sure, we might be munching on chips and sipping Coke as we type, but we don’t pretend to be tough bloggers. We’re sensitive new age bloggers.

My comment on McCann’s injury is that they be sure and do an MRI on his brain–just to make sure he has one.

5. watchfullhose - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I agree that this is likely a fake injury. They’re not gonna let him get plunked.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Why would the Phillies hit him over something that happened between the Braves and Brewers?

6. brooklynboy48 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Braves are babies and McCann is the biggest one. Hope he misses the first and only playoff round the Braves will play this year!

7. thebadguyswon - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

The tough guy goes down!

8. xmatt0926x - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I have no love for the Braves and I agreed with all the shots on McCann and the Braves for their “high-horse” mentality that they’ve show lately. But then I actually saw the WHOLE series of pitches between Malholm and Gomez.

I’ve changed my mind and I wonder if the people (the objective one’s at least) taking shots at McCann have seen everything that went on and not just him blocking Gomez as he came around 3rd. Carlos Gomez swung and missed at the first pitch and walked in a circle menacingly while staring at Maholm, then when he hit his homer he yapped all the way around the bases.

The Braves do need to stop the whole “this is how you play” routine but I’m surprised at how one-sided the argument has been with the posters. Yeah, you’re going to get agreement with Craig earlier by minions (both posters and bloggers) who never disagree with Craig, but it’s been just about all one -sided. Gomex shares alot of the blame as far as I’m concerned.

• goskinsvt - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM

nope.

• Walk - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM

“nope.”

What a thoughtful, insightful and well written response goskinsvt, you have swayed me. Oh wait, nope.

• deathtoromo - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM

No doubt this is an NBC site. Liberalism and pacifism abound. It’s baseball ! You dont do what Gomez did! What did all the pacifist posters want the Braves to do? Wait for the next time he came to bat and go “HEAD HUNTING” ? This has become a nation of pussies. Thanks NBC, CNN and of course , Obama.

• bravojawja - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM

You’re not helping.

• clemente2 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

When mental midgets like deathtoromo are supporting you, it is time to rethink your position.

9. bigdaddy44 - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:17 PM

McCann is a big time hypocrite, His teammates have been acting like classless ahos all year, stirring up hatred from other teams. McCann then pulls his high horse attitude on the players who respond. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with Gomez’ antics, but if McCann is going to appoint himself sheriff, he needs to straighten out his chicken shit teammates first. Matt926, you need to look at the whole history of what has happened, not make judgements based on last nights game alone. Only then will you see the true chicken shit nature of this Braves team, and why other teams keep responding to their bullshit antics.

• deathtoromo - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Dear douchebag bigdaddy44,

Please explain “chickenshit”, tough guy. I would pay to see you call McCann or anyone on that team ” chickenshit ” to their faces. Asshole

10. greej1938l - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:39 PM

hahaha Karma is right!!

11. weaselpuppy - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I’m assuming the adductor is a muscle in the vagina…

• historiophiliac - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM

It is, in fact, not — which just goes to show that you do not have a vagina, know nothing about them, and probably don’t have many spending time with you. Stick to things you know, little puppy.

12. Walk - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Both sides acted poorly and to such an extent that I did not even finish watching the game. Not to be outdone the umpiring crew reported that Freddie freeman was throwing punches and that they even watched it on video and saw him throwing punches. Freddie did hit aramis Ramirez with an elbow but it was not a punch and was inadvertent as he was pushing through the pile and Ramirez approached him from the side. Normally someone that throws punches gets a suspension but I remember puig karate chopping someone in the back of the neck earlier in the year and he did not get suspended. There is no excuse for how either side acted and I am dreading a repeat as the braves open next season in Milwaukee.

• theskinsman - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:13 AM

If a little pushing and shoving makes you stop watching a game, you may want to consider another sport. I hope McCann is healthy for the playoffs. Do wish he’d flattened Gomez, though.

• Walk - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Why are you assuming it was the pushing and shoving that made me stop watching the game?

• clemente2 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Wait, we get to see McCann drilled to start the season? Wonderful.

• Walk - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Braves open next year in Milwaukee I believe, but it remains to be seen if McCann will sign another contract with the braves. Considering what the braves were willing to pay bj upton and dan uggla I am concerned by how much they would pay for a player of McCann’s ability.

13. onbucky96 - Sep 27, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Karma is a biiiiitch.

14. greej1938l - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

easy buddy…gheez^^

15. rcj22001 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What McCann did was dumb. You’re supposed to put one in the middle of his back during his next at bat so he has a nice bruise to remember you by. Starting a shoving war ends any chance for making him pay his dues. Cluck all you want about unwritten rules, I wouldn’t take that crap either. Act like a professional. I don’t want to see guys celebrating because they fielded their position, drew a walk, or hit a solo home run in the first inning.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5831)
  2. M. Kemp (3259)
  3. J. Kang (3228)
  4. C. McGehee (3091)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3062)
  1. J. Upton (3000)