Sep 26, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Dale Sveum is expected to find out Monday whether he’ll return for another season as Cubs manager, according to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com.
Sveum is under contract for 2014, but Cubs president Theo Epstein declined to say that he’d be back and Sveum himself has expressed some doubt during the past week or so because of that uncertainty.
Muskat reports that Sveum and his entire coaching staff will meet Monday with Epstein, and as Sveum said yesterday: “I’m not going to sit here and lie and say you’re not wondering what’s going to happen.”
Sveum has a 127-194 (.396) record in two seasons as Cubs manager, including 66-93 this year, but Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer have repeatedly said that his record won’t be the determining factor.
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 0
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 75
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)