Sep 26, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Granderson is hitting the open market at a bad time, coming off an injury wrecked season at age 32, but his track record still puts him in line for a big contract and the outfielder talked to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star Ledger about shopping around:
You get an opportunity to see if there’s other interest out there. You get a chance to finally make a decision for the first time in your professional career, where you might want to go play. You get to take your time and decide certain things.
As for his odds of re-signing with the Yankees …
I’m not the one writing the checks here, so I can’t answer that. Talk to those people up there that do that. It’s something I’m looking forward to. It’s my first time to be able to do it. So we’ll see how it all plays out. I’ve enjoyed my time here. In four seasons, it’s been great. The organization, from top to bottom, has been good to me. I’ve enjoyed the city, everything about it. At the same time, it’s definitely a business. And we’ll see how it all ends up shaking out.
To me that sounds like he doesn’t expect the Yankees to make a huge effort to keep him, but that’s admittedly reading between lines that may not actually exist. New York continuing to limit payroll (relatively speaking, of course) could make for some very tough decisions.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)