Curtis Granderson is looking forward to shopping around in free agency

Sep 26, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT

AP Granderson AP

While the focus has understandably been on Robinson Cano and his reported contract demands, the Yankees have another key impending free agent in Curtis Granderson.

Granderson is hitting the open market at a bad time, coming off an injury wrecked season at age 32, but his track record still puts him in line for a big contract and the outfielder talked to Brendan Prunty of the Newark Star Ledger about shopping around:

You get an opportunity to see if there’s other interest out there. You get a chance to finally make a decision for the first time in your professional career, where you might want to go play. You get to take your time and decide certain things.

As for his odds of re-signing with the Yankees …

I’m not the one writing the checks here, so I can’t answer that. Talk to those people up there that do that. It’s something I’m looking forward to. It’s my first time to be able to do it. So we’ll see how it all plays out. I’ve enjoyed my time here. In four seasons, it’s been great. The organization, from top to bottom, has been good to me. I’ve enjoyed the city, everything about it. At the same time, it’s definitely a business. And we’ll see how it all ends up shaking out.

To me that sounds like he doesn’t expect the Yankees to make a huge effort to keep him, but that’s admittedly reading between lines that may not actually exist. New York continuing to limit payroll (relatively speaking, of course) could make for some very tough decisions.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If the Yankees do not sign Cano, they could afford Granderson.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

They can easily afford both. And Granderson should get a QO, so we’ll see if team’s are willing to give up the draft pick for him.

2. Jason @ IIATMS - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Betchya they give him the QA, which he declines. Which may limit other teams’ interest in him, depending on their draft slot and whether they have to give up a first rounder for him.

Great guy, wishing him luck regardless what uniform he’s wearing. Well, mostly.

• Cris E - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You know who has a lot of money, a hole in CF a year or two wide and likes the character guys? MN.

Hicks can play CF but isn’t a quality bat. Buxton won’t be really ready until 2015. By 33 Granderson can drift to one of those large Target Field corners and mentor the kids. Oh, and if he could hit some HR that would be sweet.

• Cris E - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:07 PM

And by 33 I mean 34, but you know what I mean.

3. 13yrsmlbvet - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Cubs?

4. stackers1 - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I believe Curtis still has a few 30 to 40 HR seasons left in his bat, especially in a place like Yankee Stadium. He’s a classy ballplayer & any team should be happy to have him

5. ballparkprints - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I like Curtis Granderson, but he will turn 33 just before next years baseball season starts. If the Yankees and Granderson could work out a 3 year backloaded deal with an option then they should sign him, Getting under the 189 million salary cap is important. As a Yankee fan and 41 game / 35 year plan holder, I can except a few down seasons while they right the ship.

• moseskkim - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM

came to mind as I read backloaded.. but I don’t understand why older players don’t get all front loaded contracts. its sports, you decline and then you suck. why should you get paid more as you suck more. if you get a big contract towards the end of your prime, give him big money but lower it as you go. its absolutely nuts how most contracts keep going up not just in mlb but nba. total money is total money. but say a player is good but old. 3 yrs 30. why not 12-10-8.. if theyre young and have potential, 8-10-12.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Because a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in the future due to the present value of money and inflation.

6. weaselpuppy - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Curtis really isn’t a CF anymore. And his arm only plays in LF. He was my favorite Tiger and I think he has 3-4 more productive years of 260 and 25 HR in him…3 yrs 42MM? yeah I can see that. Maybe an option year attached.

7. hojo20 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Granderson….30 HR but he’ll hit at best .240. Not worth a big contract.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

In 2012 Granderson played 160 games, hit .232 with 43 HR. That was still with 4.2 offensive rWAR.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM

That was a very good year.

8. watermelon1 - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Orioles… Trade markakis for whatever kind of pitching you can get.

Sign granderson!

Someone wake me up.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3703)