Sep 26, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Chris Perez has been terrible since August 1, posting a 5.95 ERA in 20 innings while allowing opponents to hit .321 with six homers and a 1.006 OPS. That includes serving up two homers and blowing a save in his most recent appearance Tuesday, but the Indians are sticking with Perez as closer as they near the playoffs.
Here’s what manager Terry Francona told Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland Plain Dealer when asked about Perez’s status:
Can you imagine if, every time somebody gave up a homer, we went to somebody else? If we just automatically went to somebody else, we wouldn’t have a team. I wouldn’t want to play for that guy. If there’s ever a situation where I think we can do better, I will certainly do that. But you can’t just be reactionary as a manager or you’ll have turmoil in that clubhouse. If you react to one game or an inning, you can upset a lot of what’s so good in there.
Which is fine and reasonable, except no one was asking about Perez’s status because he had one bad game or served up one homer, they were asking because he’s been awful for two months now leading directly into the playoffs.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)