Indians sticking with Chris Perez as closer

Sep 26, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

chris perez getty Getty Images

Chris Perez has been terrible since August 1, posting a 5.95 ERA in 20 innings while allowing opponents to hit .321 with six homers and a 1.006 OPS. That includes serving up two homers and blowing a save in his most recent appearance Tuesday, but the Indians are sticking with Perez as closer as they near the playoffs.

Here’s what manager Terry Francona told Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland Plain Dealer when asked about Perez’s status:

Can you imagine if, every time somebody gave up a homer, we went to somebody else? If we just automatically went to somebody else, we wouldn’t have a team. I wouldn’t want to play for that guy. If there’s ever a situation where I think we can do better, I will certainly do that. But you can’t just be reactionary as a manager or you’ll have turmoil in that clubhouse. If you react to one game or an inning, you can upset a lot of what’s so good in there.

Which is fine and reasonable, except no one was asking about Perez’s status because he had one bad game or served up one homer, they were asking because he’s been awful for two months now leading directly into the playoffs.

1. cur68 - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

“Indians Sticking with Chris Perez as Closer For Some Reason”

FIFY

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Ever since his legal troubles, he has just been missing something. Like the police took something away from him, something he needed to be in the proper mental space to pitch well. Perhaps he just needs some counseling over at Tim Lincecum’s house.

3. r8rnuck - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

compared to last year, all the numbers he needs down (BAA, H, R, BB, HR…) are up and the ones he needs up (velocity, K…) are down…converted 20 of 25 but each are fraught with anxiety

4. DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

“Chris Perez has been terrible since August 1, posting a 5.95 ERA”

My ERA’s exploding, and I know why-y-y-y, hey, hey! Because I got high, because I got high, because I got hi-i-i-i-ghhhh

5. beelza - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

The Detroit Tigers released a statement “…fully and completely endorsing Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez.” You don’t really think Chris Perez purchased the pot himself, do you? Tigers have always been very charitable to it’s friends.

6. janessa31888 - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

If only he were one-fourth as classy(or good) as Mariano Rivera. First he bashes the fans to the media, then starts blowing saves, and gets in trouble for a pot-loving dog. The blown game against Detroit was the last straw. I’d have been booing too. But who else could be our closer? Vinnie Pestano is an even worse train wreck!

• Kevin Gillman - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I think Cody Allen will be the closer next season. I wish it was Vinnie Pestano, dude was one of the best setup men for 3 years, but he just didn’t have it this season and I am not sure if he’ll ever be the same guy again.

7. hunterbishop2013 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Why wasn’t Perez suspended by MLB for the pot?

8. 13arod - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

i hanged a chris perez poster on my door now the door wont close

9. ursuline86 - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

It’s hard to argue with any decision Tito makes since he has done such a great job managing the Tribe this year but the playoffs are in sight and Perez could cost them a wild card berth and you definitely don’t want to lose a playoff game due to a blown save. They have several other BETTER options at closer and it’s obvious Perez won’t be back next year. He is starring in the next Cheech & Chong movie titled “How I taught my dog to order weed online”…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win