Sep 26, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Chris Perez has been terrible since August 1, posting a 5.95 ERA in 20 innings while allowing opponents to hit .321 with six homers and a 1.006 OPS. That includes serving up two homers and blowing a save in his most recent appearance Tuesday, but the Indians are sticking with Perez as closer as they near the playoffs.
Here’s what manager Terry Francona told Dennis Manoloff of the Cleveland Plain Dealer when asked about Perez’s status:
Can you imagine if, every time somebody gave up a homer, we went to somebody else? If we just automatically went to somebody else, we wouldn’t have a team. I wouldn’t want to play for that guy. If there’s ever a situation where I think we can do better, I will certainly do that. But you can’t just be reactionary as a manager or you’ll have turmoil in that clubhouse. If you react to one game or an inning, you can upset a lot of what’s so good in there.
Which is fine and reasonable, except no one was asking about Perez’s status because he had one bad game or served up one homer, they were asking because he’s been awful for two months now leading directly into the playoffs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Joe Maddon is a good manager. But he’s just a manager.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT
Earlier this week the Cardinals insisted there was nothing wrong with Adam Wainwright’s elbow and he wouldn’t require surgery.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Needs more Pixies. I have no idea which song, but any list needs more Pixies.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
And he wouldn’t wish it on anyone else.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Jeremy Guthrie vs. Tim Hudson.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Way to spoil all of our silly speculation, dude.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Loyalty in professional sports is kind of a silly concept.
Oct 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The conventional wisdom is that the good-defense, low-power Royals aren’t hurt all that much by playing in AT&T Park. I tend to disagree with that.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
It would actually make a lot of sense.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
GM salaries are about to skyrocket.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Will he follow Andrew Friedman to Los Angeles?
Oct 24, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
The powerful and controversial drug is allowing Game 2’s hero to battle through shoulder pain.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Great Moments in Peanuts and Cracker Jack
Oct 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
For the second straight year we realize that Miguel Cabrera finished the season in way more pain than the Tigers had let on.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Quite the hot take from John McGrath of the Tacoma News-Tribune
Oct 24, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
A day later, Strickland has a better handle on how he mishandled things on Wednesday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
A man with a history of intentionally misstating the facts about stocks does so about baseball.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:13 AM EDT
We’re tied 1-1. I guess that doesn’t make Game 3 “crucial.” Maybe it makes it “pivotal.” Not sure. Gonna have to consult my baseball cliche dictionary.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Do you want to feel really old? OK, here goes.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 132
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (132)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)