Sep 26, 2013, 6:09 PM EDT
Jesse Crain was activated from the disabled list this week after missing three months with a shoulder strain, but he has yet to appear in a game. And it’s now possible that he’ll never throw a pitch for the Rays.
Rays manager Joe Maddon told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that Crain didn’t feel right throwing Tuesday after he warmed up during Monday’s game. As a result, his availability for the rest of the season and the playoffs is in question.
Crain had a dominant 0.74 ERA and 46/11 K/BB ratio over 36 2/3 innings with the White Sox prior to landing on the disabled list. The Rays acquired the veteran reliever at the trade deadline in hopes that he would be able to contribute down the stretch, but progress has been hard to come by.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)