Sep 26, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Joe Girardi’s contract is up after this season, which has led to all sorts of speculation about his future, including a possible opening in his hometown of Chicago. However, if he has things his way, he’ll be back in the Bronx next season.
Girardi was a guest on Mike Francesa’s show on WFAN this afternoon and said that he hopes to work something out.
“I’ve loved it here, Mike. This has been wonderful for my family and I whether I’ve been a player, coach or manager,” Girardi said. “I will sit down and talk to Brian [Cashman] when the season is over. Until we sit down there is really nothing to report.
“There are some decisions that I have to make in my life and I will sit down and talk to my wife and children like I have every year. But like I said, I’ve loved being here,” Girardi added.
The Yankees will miss the playoffs this year for just the second time in the past 19 seasons, but that’s hardly Girardi’s fault. He hasn’t had anything close to a full deck for most of the year. The team enters play tonight at 82-76 on the year and there’s a strong case to be made that they have overachieved.
Girardi owns a 561-407 (.580) record over six seasons as manager with New York.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 8
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 11
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)