Sep 26, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Joe Girardi’s contract is up after this season, which has led to all sorts of speculation about his future, including a possible opening in his hometown of Chicago. However, if he has things his way, he’ll be back in the Bronx next season.
Girardi was a guest on Mike Francesa’s show on WFAN this afternoon and said that he hopes to work something out.
“I’ve loved it here, Mike. This has been wonderful for my family and I whether I’ve been a player, coach or manager,” Girardi said. “I will sit down and talk to Brian [Cashman] when the season is over. Until we sit down there is really nothing to report.
“There are some decisions that I have to make in my life and I will sit down and talk to my wife and children like I have every year. But like I said, I’ve loved being here,” Girardi added.
The Yankees will miss the playoffs this year for just the second time in the past 19 seasons, but that’s hardly Girardi’s fault. He hasn’t had anything close to a full deck for most of the year. The team enters play tonight at 82-76 on the year and there’s a strong case to be made that they have overachieved.
Girardi owns a 561-407 (.580) record over six seasons as manager with New York.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 52
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 27
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)