Sep 26, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Joe Girardi’s contract is up after this season, which has led to all sorts of speculation about his future, including a possible opening in his hometown of Chicago. However, if he has things his way, he’ll be back in the Bronx next season.
Girardi was a guest on Mike Francesa’s show on WFAN this afternoon and said that he hopes to work something out.
“I’ve loved it here, Mike. This has been wonderful for my family and I whether I’ve been a player, coach or manager,” Girardi said. “I will sit down and talk to Brian [Cashman] when the season is over. Until we sit down there is really nothing to report.
“There are some decisions that I have to make in my life and I will sit down and talk to my wife and children like I have every year. But like I said, I’ve loved being here,” Girardi added.
The Yankees will miss the playoffs this year for just the second time in the past 19 seasons, but that’s hardly Girardi’s fault. He hasn’t had anything close to a full deck for most of the year. The team enters play tonight at 82-76 on the year and there’s a strong case to be made that they have overachieved.
Girardi owns a 561-407 (.580) record over six seasons as manager with New York.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)