Sep 26, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
Joe Girardi’s contract is up after this season, which has led to all sorts of speculation about his future, including a possible opening in his hometown of Chicago. However, if he has things his way, he’ll be back in the Bronx next season.
Girardi was a guest on Mike Francesa’s show on WFAN this afternoon and said that he hopes to work something out.
“I’ve loved it here, Mike. This has been wonderful for my family and I whether I’ve been a player, coach or manager,” Girardi said. “I will sit down and talk to Brian [Cashman] when the season is over. Until we sit down there is really nothing to report.
“There are some decisions that I have to make in my life and I will sit down and talk to my wife and children like I have every year. But like I said, I’ve loved being here,” Girardi added.
The Yankees will miss the playoffs this year for just the second time in the past 19 seasons, but that’s hardly Girardi’s fault. He hasn’t had anything close to a full deck for most of the year. The team enters play tonight at 82-76 on the year and there’s a strong case to be made that they have overachieved.
Girardi owns a 561-407 (.580) record over six seasons as manager with New York.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)