Man killed after fight between Dodgers-Giants fans following last night’s game

Sep 26, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT

ATT Park

My god this crap has got to stop:

A man was stabbed to death when a fight broke out between rival fans just after a San Francisco Giants baseball game near San Francisco’s AT&T Park late Wednesday night.

It started with words between rival fans after the game. No information yet on whose fans started it and who the victim was a fan of, but that hardly matters.

It’s baseball, people. It’s just a sport. How on earth it can lead to this sort of thing is utterly beyond me.

(thanks to Halladay’s Biceps for the heads up)

1. chill1184 - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

My god, what the F$%# is wrong with people. Its a goddamm baseball game people not gang wars

• natstowngreg - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Once again, reality intrudes on our fun and games. We live in a violent society. Complaining about violence, just because it happens to intrude on our fun and games, doesn’t really help much. As a society, we need to deal with the reality of violence.

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Fully agree. But how, aside from setting a personal example? The government isn’t interested in stemming violence…just cleaning it up afterward. The President comes out, says “oh what a tragedy” to all these mass shootings, and then goes on his way to piss off the country more with lies, deceits, and constitutional violations. If anything, the government is contributing to violence.

And hell, these days, if I were a Dodgers or Giants fan, I’d never attend a game in the opposite park for fear of being assaulted.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

sabatimus, you hit the nail on the head.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ah yes, I remember when all of Congress was clamoring for a discussion on gun violence, and how to curb it, but instead the President said, “no thanks! I’ve got better things to do!”

I mean, it wasn’t like one entire side of the political system was completely against any possible gun reform. No, that couldn’t be it…

• cohnjusack - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Wow, even this is Obama’s fault! It’s amazing how competently evil you guys think he is.

• Matt D - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

What? Obama is pretty much the only one trying to stop the violence. Right wingers are too infatuated by owning a penis-compensating firearm to worry about the fact that guns in family homes are 4x more likely to be used in an accident than in self defense.

In a country full of irresponsible idiots, more weapons = more violence. A gun’s only use is as a weapon. Why treat it like a safety measure when it does way more harm than good.

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I didn’t say “Obama”. I said “The President”. To me it makes little difference who’s running the show—just that the show is a cruel joke at best.

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM

In fact, Obama is MUCH more like GWB than people would have you believe. But my post was supposed to be about how society is going down the tubes, and my frustration about what to do about it. I brought up government because, when people are clamoring to make ends meet, when the ends AREN’T meeting, when there’s domestic literal terror around us (mass shootings, etc), people are going to be angry and afraid. This often leaves people ripe for lashing out.

• cohnjusack - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Despite the fact that you are far less likely to be the victim of violent crime today than you were 20-30 years ago?

Obviously, there are problems and will continue to be. But as a kid, there was a fear that we would face a nuclear holocaust at the hands of Russia, so pardon me if I’m not convinced this is the worst time in American history.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

sabatimus–you explain yourself alittle in your second comment, but still, that is a messed up comment in a lot of ways. Dealing with crime and violence and guns and weapons is a front-burner issue for many people and many parts of the governemnt, with passinate debate on all sides about what is best to do about them. I have seen no one say “hey we really don’t care’ as you imply. The failure to have an agreement on some parts of it means it is not dealt with, but never from a lack of concern or trying.

2. jarathen - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

And here I thought spewed hatred online was ridiculous.

3. jcmeyer10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Pretty sure my LED TV and affordable 6 pack and snacks are looking better every day.

4. erikeaglesfan1 - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

All of this and Philly fans have the reputation as being bad, based on events that happened years ago. San Francisco continuously has issues at game for both baseball and football

• nategearhart - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Philadelphia: the Godwin’s Law of sports internet.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

You may want to look up what Godwin’s Law actually is…..because agree or disgree with erik, it does not apply

• nategearhart - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

“As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”

Replace “Nazis or Hitler” with “Philadelphia or the Phillies” and you have the comment section of HardballTalk.

Agreeing or disagreeing with the original comment was totally not the point of my post, and frankly I’m not sure how you made such a jump. It’s the fact that dude had to inject Philly into a post that had nothing to do with Philly whatsoever. Happens a lot around here.

• sire2334 - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’ve worked for multiple sports organizations. One in Philly happens to be one of them. While there are issues pretty much everywhere, I can no doubt agree that the Philly rep is well earned…And yes part of that stems from the MURDER that happened a few years ago. But hey, I left in 2011 so maybe it’s all roses there now…

• erikeaglesfan1 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM

The incident you are referring to was not related to fans of different cities at all. They were fans of the same team and a fight broke out outside the game between two groups of drunk people who got into an argument. What is the cause of the reputation Philly fans have? Throwing snowballs at Santa in 1968, a 1997 time where a few idiots threw batteries at J.D. Drew, booing Irvin in 1999, and booing McNabb at the draft in 1999. There are always a few idiots at games in all cities, but fans in Philly are no different than NY, Boston, and Washington. There have been issues in KC, SF, and Seattle that you never hear of again but Philly is stuck with its reputation and cities like KC are all class.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Erik: You forgot the vomit guy.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

He was from Jersey. What exit, I don’t know.

5. tablescrappy - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Yet the Oakland Coliseum is always ripped on for being in a “bad area.” The Coliseum is, indeed, a pit (as Bud Bag of Hammers so helpfully pointed out), but when was the last time something like this happened at an A’s game? Basically, a nice ballpark in a swanky area isn’t going to stop idiots from being idiots. And wow, for a city with such a unicorns and rainbows reputation, SF has more than its share of idiots.

6. proudlycanadian - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I want to contrast this with something that happened in Baltimore last night. A Blue Jay fan who is taking in the Baltimore series with his young son ended up with a baseball. He had his son give the ball to an even younger fan dressed in Baltimore orange who was a few rows back. That kid (probably at his parent’s instigation) came down and thanked the Blue Jay fan.

There is no need for the stupidity that went on in San Francisco and Atlanta yesterday.

• bravojawja - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Are you seriously conflating murder with dumbassery?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Macho behavior of any type can be rather stupid.

• bravojawja - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

There is a huge difference between stupid and dead.

Though, admittedly, often the former causes the latter.

• elmo - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I would call it a difference of degree, not of kind. Same tribalism and machismo, worse outcome.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Maybe that was payback for the Orioles fan who purchased Chris Davis’ 51st home run from a Toronto fan to gift to Davis. Kindness begets kindness. Even with two division rivals, it’s always awesome to hear great stories of fans showing quality upbringing and human decency. If I had seen that, I would have bought the kid a souvenir ball from the team store. And the father a beverage of choice. Great parenting!

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

“Kindness begets kindness”. Absolutely. It’s like that saying: “Be the change you wish to see in the world”.

• cur68 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I’m pretty sure its kind of common for Beaver Fans to root for the Orioles, providing it’s not against Our Boys. I certainly do and I can recall you, PC, making pro-Oriole statements, too. Its nice to see them doing so well after seasons of being the AL Beast’s doormat. Given that exchange between the two fans, I’m betting its common in our fan base to wish them well. Misery loves company and all that.
      And good for that kid, too. Giving away a baseball is tough to do for a kid and giving it to a rival fan is even tougher.

/hat tip

7. brianjoates - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Its a game. The teams actually could care less who is a fan of their team just as long as you spend money with them.

Alcohol is going to be banned from stadiums.

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Payrolls will have to go down by millions if that happens.

• ptfu - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

“…just as long as you spend money with them.”

“Alcohol is going to be banned from stadiums.”

Your second statement is torpedoed by your first. Alcohol is preposterously profitable for teams, and no that Budweiser doesn’t cost them anywhere near eight bucks a pour. Far cheaper to beef up security. No owner is going to stop selling alcohol.

8. MLBlogsbig3bosox - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I see comments above of people pointing to fans of especific teams and calling them out.. That’s not the point here guys.. The point is that this kind of stuff should NEVER happen anywhere because it’s a baseball game.. just a game! I will never understand this kind of behavior from people.

9. tctctime - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I made the prediction 10 years ago that with the insurgence of HD TV’s, the ridiculous prices and crazy people at Pro sporting events, there will come a time where tickets are free simply to get people to the events. They’ll make their money in other ways including concessions and parking. I spent 27 years as a season ticket holder in the NFL but wouldn’t even consider exposing my children to the dregs, language, attitude and inconveniences that exist these days. 65″ HDTV, every game via DirecTV and the comfort of home for about the same price as going to a couple games with the family…no brainier..

• American of African Descent - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I concur. Plus, the view from my 50″ HDTV is better than the view from the seats I can afford on a regular basis, and I don’t have to fight crowds on the way in or on the way out.

• historiophiliac - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

But that makes me sad because as a society we are withdrawing too much and when we do, we become worse at getting along with others.

• Anoesis - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I understand the need to socialize, but I find that to be more effective when it’s in a much smaller environment as opposed to the anonymity of a crowd of ten of thousands. I stopped going to events with large crowds many, many years ago, but I don’t seem to have any problems talking/interacting with strangers at the supermarket or gas station.

10. tctctime - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM

That sums it up well, proudlycanadian!

11. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM

This sort of violence is becoming common in the LA-SF area, not only in baseball, but football aswell. This is what, the fourth, fifth similar incident in the last few years? I just don’t get it. I’m as passionate as the next guy, but this stuff is getting out of control. I guess soccer hooliganism is making it’s way stateside. Such a shame.

12. nolanwiffle - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

These types of occurences are mind-boggling to me. We currently have real enemies in the world who want Americans dead. And these knuckleheads kill one another because they root for different baseball teams?

13. jason9696 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Seeing as it was a Giants-Dodgers game it was probably just a gangbanger killing another gangbanger.

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Are you implying that somehow this makes it all ok?

• American of African Descent - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Yeah, I hear Brian Stow was tight with the crips . . .

West siiiideeee

• American of African Descent - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM

(For all who had any doubt, my Brian Stow post was written in the sarcasm font.)

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I’m one of those people who will probably never find any Brian Stow joke funny.

• American of African Descent - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

(Jason9696 was the target of that joke, not Brian Stow.)

14. Shafer's Dealer - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

People get really pissed off when an opposing player showboats.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

And they are idiots for doing so.

15. MyTeamsAllStink - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

you know it’s the fans that keep these rivalries as intense as they are.Players can let it go after the games over.They are for the most part friends with one another and hangout with each other.Fans need to get over themselves and stop acting like assholes.

16. whitdog23 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

@ tctctime, ‘no brainier’?? LOL omg i can’t stop laughing at you. that’s so flippin’ funny

17. psly2124 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

The liberals will soon want to ban baseball. Maybe a ban on knives would be more appropriate. 10x more people are killed with knives the guns each year. Hey Harry Reid please remove your head from your arse or governor moon bean in Cali. San Fran the illegal haven you get what you deserve. Illegals bring so much to the table. Like stealing, raping, murder. Make them all legal we need more if that

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I agree with your first sentence but got lost after that.

• cohnjusack - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

You agree that liberals want to ban baseball?

It’s strange, I’m a pretty liberal guy, but I’m under no delusion that Republicans want to ban basketball or anything. That’s what crazy people think.

• rossjcook - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Isn’t it a little early to be drunk?

• APBA Guy - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ross, that’s probably too nice. It’s probably years of meth abuse that’s caused 2124’s break from reality. Or was it just years of listening to Faux News and Limbaugh?

• Anoesis - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

He sounds like he’s been listening to a little too much Glenn Beck.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

10x more people are killed with knives the guns each year.

Holy [citation needed] batman! Let’s look at the FBI website:

2007-2011 (these are murder stats btw)
      Knives – 1,817; 1,888; 1,836; 1,732; 1,694
      Handguns – 7,398; 6,800; 6,501; 6,115; 6,220
      Total Firearms – 10,129; 9,528; 9,199; 8,874; 8,853

Totals:
      Knives – 8967
      Handguns – 33034
      Firearms – 46583

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

The right wing bass turd don’t need no stinkin’ facts.

• historiophiliac - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I did read an interesting and persuasive editorial in The Independent once that said the real problem in the US is that we are a violent, violent people. It was compelling — if untenable in the end.

• km9000 - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

So much for making English the official language of the US, huh?

18. kane337 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM

They’re fighting at their football games too. Stay classy San Francisco.

• jm91rs - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Because nothing bad ever happens to opposing fans in LA….

It’s all ridiculous.

• jm91rs - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

And you also have no idea who started the fight and who was killed. So while I agree the SF football fans are rowdy (scariest moment of my life cheering for the Bengals in SF), you have no idea what happened in this instance and both fans were likely stupid.

19. tctctime - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Whitdog23, I’m glad you can get such joy out of a spell check auto-insert. You might not even need sports if you can be so easily entertained!

20. jm91rs - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

This really disturbs me. I’m on a mission to attend all baseball parks with my son. We try to go to an area when the Reds are playing so that we can cheer for our team. I consider us to be pretty friendly fans, sure we want the Reds to win, we will cheer for them. We don’t have any annoying chants, we don’t boo the opposing teams, etc.
    We do run into assholes plenty, and it sucks that we have to sit there with my mouth shut when someone is cheering stuff just to piss me off. Most of the time people are classy, and even the assholes don’t do anything if you ignore them. I’m always torn because on one hand I want my son to turn the other cheek and learn to ignore the pricks, but on the other hand I don’t want him getting walked on. I could definitely see how at just about any stadium the wrong two people could get together and there could be trouble.

• yahmule - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

My girlfriend and I are doing the same thing, but we’re not following a particular team. Coincidentally, we did happen to see the Reds as the visiting team in both games we attended this summer. You and your son would not have been happy since it was the games Puig and Denorfia ended with walkoff homers. We found it all quite thrilling, though. 20 innings of baseball, four runs, two dramatic endings.

It makes me sad to hear people harass you and your son @ road games, but it doesn’t surprise me. How old is your boy? It seems like a lot of these cowards like to start chirping when they know a guy is in no position to respond. All you can do is explain to your son that there is a time and place for everything and nobody with a brain would ever judge you for showing restraint and common sense.

• American of African Descent - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Sit in better seats. It’s more expensive, but you don’t have to deal with the sorts of people whose sense of self-worth is inextricably intertwined with their team’s fortune.

• vinnyboborinostein - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Yes I’m sure everyone is on this earth just to piss you off. Ever consider wearing non-descript clothing when you are at your road games? You are asking for it if you wear your home team garb to road games. Are you stupid? Do you follow current events? It’s not all about you. Do you think I wear Lion’s garb when I’m at a Steelers game? I’m not that stupid. BTW, I have never seen such a huge collection of left wing idiots on a topic as this. Go buy another 30 pack of Busch Natural Light and drown your sorrows. All of these up and down landslide thumbs stink of BS.

• yahmule - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

vinnyboborinostein: “I’m not that stupid.”

No? Seems like you would be.

21. farvite - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Silly fans!!

Leave shankings to prison inmates.

• yahmule - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Won’t someone think about the convicts?!

22. jdvalk - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

All the more amazing that the Yankees and Mets could make it through a Subway Series without the fans tearing each other apart.

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

To be fair, it’s the METS. I wonder how it’d be with the Red Sox. I’ve been to one Sox/Yanks game at Fenway, sat in the cheap seats, and saw no fights whatsoever. Granted, that’s only one anecdote, so I’m curious as to the atmosphere in general.

• jaturso - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I’m a Yankee fan and lived in Boston from ’97-’06. I attended probably 50 games at Fenway Park, about 20 of them Red Sox/Yankees. I wore my Thurman Munson #15 pinstripe jersey every time (even game 3 of the 2004 ALCS – the game the Yankees won by like 9 runs or something, right before their epic collapse). While I received A LOT of grief for wearing the pinstripes at Fenway (the BEST ballpark in the world at which to see a game, if you don’t mind not actually facing the field straight on or sitting behind a pole – it’s all part of the charm of the place), it was ALL in good fun, with fans who are pretty knowledgeable about the game and the players who play it. Even the drunks in the bleachers never gave me a reason to think I was in danger. In fact, my then girlfriend (now wife), who is a HUGE David Ortiz fan always wore her David Ortiz jersey to the games with me. The worst we would get was the occasional heckler yelling at her to “dump the losah!” It was never an issue to be an opposing fan at Fenway.

23. sc101071 - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Looks like some fans do act like “tough guys”.

• sabatimus - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I’d say that in some cases it looks like some tough guys act like fans.

24. 2jivecrew - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM

The Border Patrol needs to be at every California sporting event rounding these people up. We all know who the culprits always are.

25. losanginsight - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

A 21 and 18 year old have been arrested for stabbing to dead a Dodger fan. Stay classy Gay bay.

• scumpidude - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Right, because those 2 guys represent over a million people living in Nor Cal. Just like the thugs that stomped Brian Stow represent all the people living on So Cal.
      My bad, I forgot to read the sign, “don’t feed the trolls”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Nice homophobic retort there hypocrite.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3279)