Sep 26, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Mariano Rivera‘s final appearance at Yankee Stadium is in the books. While he didn’t get a save chance, he retired all four batters he faced tonight in a 4-0 loss to the Rays.
Yankee Stadium was buzzing well in advance of his appearance, as loud chants of “Mariano” could be heard while he was warming up. The all-time saves leader entered the game in the top of the eighth inning with runners on first and second and one out. The Yankees had the recorded voice of former public address announcer Bob Sheppard introduce him as he trotted in from the bullpen. Meanwhile, the Rays were all standing in front of the dugout clapping for him. It was quite a scene.
Rivera induced a fly out from Delmon Young and got a comebacker from Sam Fuld to end the eighth inning. He then walked back out to the mound one last time in the ninth and got Jose Lobaton on a comebacker and Yunel Escobar on a pop-up to second base. We then saw his two long-time teammates, Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, come out to make the pitching change. Not sure it could be handled any better than that. Rivera was in tears as he left the mound at Yankee Stadium for the final time. Now that’s a moment. Just in case there was any doubt, baseball is pretty cool.
You can watch video of Rivera’s introduction below:
And here’s the scene as Rivera was greeted by Jeter and Pettitte before leaving the mound. It’s getting a little dusty in here.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)