Sep 26, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
Mariano Rivera‘s final appearance at Yankee Stadium is in the books. While he didn’t get a save chance, he retired all four batters he faced tonight in a 4-0 loss to the Rays.
Yankee Stadium was buzzing well in advance of his appearance, as loud chants of “Mariano” could be heard while he was warming up. The all-time saves leader entered the game in the top of the eighth inning with runners on first and second and one out. The Yankees had the recorded voice of former public address announcer Bob Sheppard introduce him as he trotted in from the bullpen. Meanwhile, the Rays were all standing in front of the dugout clapping for him. It was quite a scene.
Rivera induced a fly out from Delmon Young and got a comebacker from Sam Fuld to end the eighth inning. He then walked back out to the mound one last time in the ninth and got Jose Lobaton on a comebacker and Yunel Escobar on a pop-up to second base. We then saw his two long-time teammates, Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, come out to make the pitching change. Not sure it could be handled any better than that. Rivera was in tears as he left the mound at Yankee Stadium for the final time. Now that’s a moment. Just in case there was any doubt, baseball is pretty cool.
You can watch video of Rivera’s introduction below:
And here’s the scene as Rivera was greeted by Jeter and Pettitte before leaving the mound. It’s getting a little dusty in here.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)