Sep 26, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
Mariano Rivera‘s final appearance at Yankee Stadium is in the books. While he didn’t get a save chance, he retired all four batters he faced tonight in a 4-0 loss to the Rays.
Yankee Stadium was buzzing well in advance of his appearance, as loud chants of “Mariano” could be heard while he was warming up. The all-time saves leader entered the game in the top of the eighth inning with runners on first and second and one out. The Yankees had the recorded voice of former public address announcer Bob Sheppard introduce him as he trotted in from the bullpen. Meanwhile, the Rays were all standing in front of the dugout clapping for him. It was quite a scene.
Rivera induced a fly out from Delmon Young and got a comebacker from Sam Fuld to end the eighth inning. He then walked back out to the mound one last time in the ninth and got Jose Lobaton on a comebacker and Yunel Escobar on a pop-up to second base. We then saw his two long-time teammates, Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, come out to make the pitching change. Not sure it could be handled any better than that. Rivera was in tears as he left the mound at Yankee Stadium for the final time. Now that’s a moment. Just in case there was any doubt, baseball is pretty cool.
You can watch video of Rivera’s introduction below:
And here’s the scene as Rivera was greeted by Jeter and Pettitte before leaving the mound. It’s getting a little dusty in here.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)