Sep 26, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Not $300M. It has to be $305M because, I dunno, taxes maybe. Yeah, let’s go with taxes:
— Kevin Negandhi (@KNegandhiESPN) September 26, 2013
Folks: it’s going to be silly season soon. Misinformation, both accidental and tactically-placed misinformation, is going to reign supreme when it comes to Cano’s free agency. There are too many reporters and too many leakers covering it and everyone has an incentive to frame the narrative which surrounds it all.
For example: if you’re the Yankees and you don’t think you can or will sign Cano, you’re going to want to make it seem like he’s unreasonable so you don’t come off as cheap. At the same time, if your’e Cano’s people you’re going to have your own agenda and we’ll likely see a lot of that kind of spin too.Not saying that’s what this is — who knows? — but that dynamic always seems to happen with the big stars.
But just look back to the past few years and remember how silly things get reported about big free agents and then remember how, for the most part, sanity comes back to the fore. Then chuckle these things off.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)