Sep 26, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
Craig passed along word this morning that a man was killed last night last night after a fight broke out among Dodgers and Giants fans near AT&T Park in San Francisco. We’re beginning to learn more details about the senseless tragedy.
According to Kate Mather and Lee Romney of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers confirmed today that the victim, Jonathan Denver, was the son of a security guard who works for the team.
Denver and his brother met his father in San Francisco to watch the Dodgers play the Giants yesterday. They left the game in the eighth inning and encountered a group of people who had come to town to visit a nightclub. According to San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr, “back-and-forth” barbs about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry led to two fights between the groups. Denver, who was wearing Dodgers gear, was stabbed and later died at San Francisco General Hospital.
The latest information is that two people were taken into custody. They were still being questioned as of this afternoon.
The Dodgers issued the following statement about the tragedy:
“The Dodgers are shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Jonathan Denver, who is the son of one of our security guards.”
“There is no rational explanation for this senseless act which resulted in Jonathan’s death. The pain that this has caused his family and friends is unimaginable. Words are not enough to describe our sadness. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this extremely difficult time.”
UPDATE: According to the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco police have confirmed that a 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the stabbing.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)