Sep 26, 2013, 7:46 PM EDT
Craig passed along word this morning that a man was killed last night last night after a fight broke out among Dodgers and Giants fans near AT&T Park in San Francisco. We’re beginning to learn more details about the senseless tragedy.
According to Kate Mather and Lee Romney of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers confirmed today that the victim, Jonathan Denver, was the son of a security guard who works for the team.
Denver and his brother met his father in San Francisco to watch the Dodgers play the Giants yesterday. They left the game in the eighth inning and encountered a group of people who had come to town to visit a nightclub. According to San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr, “back-and-forth” barbs about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry led to two fights between the groups. Denver, who was wearing Dodgers gear, was stabbed and later died at San Francisco General Hospital.
The latest information is that two people were taken into custody. They were still being questioned as of this afternoon.
The Dodgers issued the following statement about the tragedy:
“The Dodgers are shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Jonathan Denver, who is the son of one of our security guards.”
“There is no rational explanation for this senseless act which resulted in Jonathan’s death. The pain that this has caused his family and friends is unimaginable. Words are not enough to describe our sadness. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this extremely difficult time.”
UPDATE: According to the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco police have confirmed that a 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the stabbing.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)