Stabbing victim was son of security guard who works for Dodgers

Sep 26, 2013, 7:46 PM EST

dodgers logo

Craig passed along word this morning that a man was killed last night last night after a fight broke out among Dodgers and Giants fans near AT&T Park in San Francisco. We’re beginning to learn more details about the senseless tragedy.

According to Kate Mather and Lee Romney of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers confirmed today that the victim, Jonathan Denver, was the son of a security guard who works for the team.

Denver and his brother met his father in San Francisco to watch the Dodgers play the Giants yesterday. They left the game in the eighth inning and encountered a group of people who had come to town to visit a nightclub. According to San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr, “back-and-forth” barbs about the Dodgers-Giants rivalry led to two fights between the groups. Denver, who was wearing Dodgers gear, was stabbed and later died at San Francisco General Hospital.

The latest information is that two people were taken into custody. They were still being questioned as of this afternoon.

The Dodgers issued the following statement about the tragedy:

“The Dodgers are shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Jonathan Denver, who is the son of one of our security guards.”

“There is no rational explanation for this senseless act which resulted in Jonathan’s death. The pain that this has caused his family and friends is unimaginable. Words are not enough to describe our sadness. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this extremely difficult time.”

UPDATE: According to the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco police have confirmed that a 21-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the stabbing.

1. sjtorpitt - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM

For all you dodger fans, don’t judge an entire fan base (giants) because of the acts of one stupid guy.

• erbaodai - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Doesn’t seems fair to me when Giants fans are judging the Dodgers because of Brian Stow.

• Marty - Sep 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

The Dodgers do plenty to represent themselves at ATT. I think that at this point Stow is an afterthought.

Regardless, this is hardly baseball fandom at work. These are gangsters with hats that have sports
        Logos on them.

2. gabeguterres - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I freely admit that there were times, in the past, that my love of the Giants, and hatred for all things dodgers, went farther than was appropriate. Emotionally, I mean. I never got in a fight, but I’ll bet there were some days, after some losses, with the right (wrong?) antagonizing, that it would at least have been conceivable.

Then Brian Stow. And it really did make me reevaluate the intensity of my disdain. I mean, I’m still going to boo, and all that, but I never want to forget that rivalries are supposed to be fun.

But this. Holy hell. I’m feeling shame and horror and nauseous and outrage. Obviously the personalities of the people involved are a huge factor (as well as the fact that at least one of them had a knife, and another a bat), but someone is dead because of the team they supported? How can that happen?

3. chukpark - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Is this the third killing outside AT&T Park since 2004? (Yes.) Were Giants fans fair in reacting to the aftermath of the attack on Brian Stow outside Dodgers Stadium? Not that I’m going to react the same way many Giants fans reacted to the Stow beating, but, seriously, 3 killings at AT&T Park in the past decade (so far). Giants fans don’t really have a shred of credibility when it comes to criticizing security at other teams’ parks.

• tbk201 - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

This poor young man was killed in a nightclub 1/2 a mile from the ballpark more than an hour after he left the game. It’s a little different than being beaten in the team-owned parking lot.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Oh, it’s different? Okay. Certain deaths mean less than certain attacks?

Tone-deaf. That is what you are. And stupid. And pathetic. And, really, just looking for reasons to continue hating people when you’re just some anonymous message board jackass.

Someone died. Quit trivializing it, and shut your stupid trap.

• tbk201 - Sep 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM

First, I’m willing to bet koufaxmitzva is not your government name, so not sure you should be calling me “anonymous message board jackass”, kettle.

Second, where did I say this poor guy’s death meant less than certain attacks? The post to which I replied referred, erroneously, to 3 deaths “at AT&T park”, this being the latest supposed example. I simply pointed out this death occurred at a private location half a mile away, therefore, not due to a failure of ball park security, which was the issue in the Bryan stow case. That’s why it’s different. I’m not sure where I said it was less of a sad event. Maybe you can quote my post back to me and point out where I said this death means less.

Third, whom exactly am I hating?

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM

We’re all anonymous here, buddy. The difference between you and me on this thread is pretty simple. Your take is being stabbed for wearing a hat in a bar 30 minutes after gametime somehow isn’t equivalent or, worse, takes a back seat to a guy beaten up in a parking lot. Both are awful scenarios which you, in your infinite wisdom, have just trivialized.

Who are you hating? Who are you not hating, that’s the question.

• tbk201 - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

No, my take related to ball park security issues, which is the comment to which I replied. I thought your infinite wisdom would include basic reading comprehension.

Again, I invite you to quote the words I used to say that his death means less than or takes a back seat to the Bryan stow incident.

And while you’re at it, show me, using the words I have written on this thread, who I hate.

• dan1111 - Sep 27, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Does anyone else find it ironic that much of this comment thread is turning into a rivalry between the two teams?

This was a senseless and horrible act. What else needs to be said?

• clemente2 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

This was not at the ballpark, so ballpark security is not the issue. Senseless violence over team fandom is the issue.

4. 4d3fect - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Jesus H Christ, is this Jets vs Sharks?

-Pathetic.

• hojo20 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM

No, it’s not Winnipeg vs. San Jose.

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Someone ain’t a fan of the arts.

• hojo20 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Saw it in high school. I did like some of the instrumental music.

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

What I meant to say is, when you miss jokes, you miss jokes for life.

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Haha, well then! I too am excited for the NHL season to start.

5. titansbro - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

These 2 teams need to have all their home games taken away if they can’t put a stop to this nonsense.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Way to trivialize murder for the sake of… what? Brevity? Biting sarcasm? Snark?

You failed in more than one way, making you a failure in every way.

6. markofapro - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Tragic

7. spacemaker101 - Sep 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Fuck giants fans

8. chukpark - Sep 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Rivalry on the field. Peace off the field.

9. losanginsight - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

The Giants/Stowe family really need to stop begging and sueing the Dodgers to pay for anything. The Giants organization needs to corral their fans.
    RIP to Mr. Denver

• clemente2 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Not relevant, and wrong.

Stow—beaten in Los Angeles Dodgers parking lot during exit by fans from game–owner resonsible.

Denver—killed at a nightclub an hour after the game half a mile from ballpark—owner not responsible.

Don’t bring up a false issue because you are mad at the idiots who did this. The issue is violence and fandom.

10. thisdamnbox - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Has anyone considered the common denominator in all these senseless episodes of fan violence could be alcohol? Soon we could be looking at last call around the 5th inning…

• kingscourt25 - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM

uh yeah, not going to happen

11. pgilbert2013 - Sep 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM

As a SF Giants and 49er fan, I’m incredibly sorry and sad at this event. Professional and College sports is a great release. That being said I’ve seen and been part of total idiocy in both ball parks.

I’ve been going to the Stick for years and Friday night games against TE Dodgers were the worst. I’ve seen whole sections going at it. The most memorable was that the Dodgers were beating us 8-0 nothing after 4 or 5 innings and this poor idiot in a Dodgers jackets was taunting everyone that would listen. Finally some guy said “you had enough yet” and the Dodgers fan said F-you… After what I watched next, the Dodger guy may have wished he said yes. This guy got up dumped a beer on him and then pummeled him. We all went crazy loving it.

That being said, I’m sure it’s happened to a Giants fan in LA. I just wore a Giants hat and got spit on in the 80’s.

It’s all nonsense, but now a days we should not isn’t agonize anyone because there are wound up people everywhere, including Denver, DC, Connecticut.

Lets all have fun at games but, damn its just a friggin game!

12. earpaniac - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

If you’re killing someone because they like a different team than you, there is most likely something really, really wrong with you.

13. bh0673 - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM

To kill anyone over a sports rivalry shows what a-holes people can be and there is no excuse regardless, any animal who would kill someone over a sports rivalry should be locked up for a very long time regardless of where it happened. Yes there are rivalries but they should be enjoyed not turned into ignorant macho BS.

14. vegasdestroyer - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Thanks for making Philadelphia fans look good. Those Santa snowballs didn’t kill anyone. Giant and Dodger fans can no longer be in denial about their mutual hatred.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4683)
  2. M. Kemp (3725)
  3. M. Cabrera (2921)
  4. J. Kang (2735)
  5. M. Morse (2613)
  1. J. Upton (2612)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2281)
  3. A. Rios (2265)