Stop being slaves to baseball’s stupid macho orthodoxy

Sep 26, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT

Brewers Braves Baseball

Just to review, my take on the Braves-Brewers thing last night is that while Carlos Gomez was certainly out of line, Brian McCann and the Braves were too and that they are the ones responsible for what should have been a minor thing turning into a fight that caused punches to be thrown and a player (Aramis Ramirez) to be hurt. McCann’s walking up the baseline to confront Gomez was pretty damn provocative and immature, frankly, and the playoff-bound Braves should be both smarter and better than that.

Oh, and for what it’s worth, Gomez made a full public apology for his behavior after the game. I’ve yet to hear McCann or his teammates do the same.

But the larger takeaway here is my continued amazement at the pro-Braves, pro-Brian McCann sentiments among commenters and Twitter folk.  The sentiments basically hold what a commenter said in this morning’s And That Happened:

Brian McCann was just acting the team leader on the last home stand of his 8 yr career on a team struggling to get going before the playoffs. The player quotes show the team loved the move. A blogger may not like making the stand but obviously you’ve not speaking for MLB players.

I can’t tell you how many people responded to me with some variation of this last night. “NO ballplayer would stand for Gomez’s taunting!” they say. “This is how it has always been in baseball!”  There’s an added dose of “How can you not defend the team you root for,” which is beyond stupid, but I’ve come to accept the fact that most fans have a double-standard when it comes to their team’s behavior compared to that of other teams.

As for the “team leader” jive, well, that’s pretty stupid too. A team leader doesn’t do things which harm his team’s chances to win games, and by instigating a fight that’s what McCann did. He should have been ejected and is lucky he wasn’t. Freddie Freeman was. Reed Johnson and McCann probably face suspensions now, which will further hurt the team at some point. All for what? To protect the Braves honor? Against what? Carlos Freakin’ Gomez?

Fact is, if the Braves had just let Gomez taunt his head off, the only conversation afterward and into today would’ve been how childish and immature Carlos Gomez is. No one would’ve cared. No one would’ve thought less of the Braves. The only people who believe otherwise are the sorts of people who are far too hung up on honor and ego to begin with. The sorts of people who are so hung up on baseball’s hidebound unwritten rules and codes of conduct that they probably wake up each morning and say a brief prayer to a candlelit portrait of Tony La Russa embracing Chris Carpenter.

Spare me. Spare me the “no player would stand for that!” and the “you must not know anything about baseball if you think the Braves were out of line” baloney, tough guy. There are all sorts of things people do because they’ve always been done. That doesn’t make them right or proper or mature even if does make them something less than unexpected.

If you want to defend McCann and the Braves’ increasing fixation on the proper behavior by opponents when they hit home runs (see, Jose Fernandez and Bryce Harper) make an argument for such behavior being reasonable on the merits without reference to tradition. And if you do, tell me if you act like that — if you get in people’s faces, preach what is proper and what is not and push things to the point of fisticuffs — when you confront the abundant immaturity all of us see every day in real life.

And if you say that baseball is different and that baseball is not “real life” and is thus subject to its own rules, explain why that should be so.  Because I see no reason why it should be that way, even if everyone has always assumed that it is. And even if Brian McCann, Tony La Russa and whoever else protects these brain-dead codes says so.

279 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. psunick - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I dunno…I thought the whole incident was rather entertaining.

• Anoesis - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It was, up to a point. As usual some people think a physical response to verbal expression is acceptable. Was Gomez mouthy? Yes, but no more than certain Braves. Still doesn’t excuse McCann from showing his inability to control himself and not look like an even bigger dickhead by blocking the plate. If someone’s words make you angry enough to cross the line by becoming physical then you have the problem, not the guy with the big mouth.

If you can’t keep up in a battle of wits take the high road and say nothing. That would have made Gomez look even stupider than he did. Instead McCann made himself look like a troglodyte in escalating a harmless exchange of words into a potential physical altercation.

• pjmarn6 - Sep 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Same old King Klown trying to find something to say to get a paycheck. He couldn’t make it as a lawyer so he is trying to find a way to make it as a baseball hack. Even without reading the article’s author first, I knew what idiot wrote the article. Where “REAL BASEBALL WRITERS” write about baseball, this idiot stirs up controversy where it doesn’t exist. I missed his insistence that the players should use drugs and fans are idiots part. If he doesn’t put that in the article, he is off his game, checkers.

2. stanlebroncornett - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This whole shebang is so stupid. Everybody wants to bang the Braves. I have yet to see one of the braves run their yap or try to thumb their noses after a homerun even when it was a big one to win the game. It is funny that people have been scrutinizing the braves as watching their homeruns go out and taking their time around the bases. When I have watched these homeruns that have been scrutinized I only see guys being themselves and not showing out or trying to show up a pitcher. The hit the ball and run the bases no yapping going on. So when these children start showing their childish antics and the braves take it personal we can see why. They do believe in playing the game the right way. They do show respect and as far as Ramirez being hurt in the scuffle. No punches were thrown and Freeman was ejected for an inadvertent elbow when trying to crowd in. It was not intentional and Hitting a guy in the jaw did not cause him to have a hurt leg. That was why Ramirez left the game and was it injured in the scuffle. I do not know but I for one am getting tired of all you Braves haters coming down on them when there are other teams that are down right dirty in the way they play and people shrug it off as “well that’s the way they play the game ” and let it go at that. If you look closely everything that Gomez did was thrown at Maholm and Maholm just watched him round the bases and said nothing.

• stanlebroncornett - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Oh and by the way the injury that Ramirez left the game with is a nagging injury that he has had all season. He came off the DL in late august and said that the knee was not getting much better so it was not so much the pushing and shoving as this knee problem has been going on for sometime. He could have aggrivated it in the field while making a play or some other reason.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Well, you’ve clearly missed the point of this entire article.

• voteforno6 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Yeah, I remember how Chris Johnson kept his mouth shut when he hit that flyout against Jose Fernandez. Also, how Justin Upton was just being himself when he hit a home run against the Nationals, and ran the bases in a measly 27.36 seconds, while Bryce Harper had the temerity to hit a home run and take forever (that is, 23.66 seconds) rounding the bases. Yep, the Braves are a classy organization that does everything the right way, and its all those other teams playing them that’s the problem.

• stanlebroncornett - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Well if you watched the braves all the time you would see that Upton does this all the time it is not a one time thing. It is the way he does it. As far as Johnson yapping at the Fernandez. It was after Fernandez said something to him. You people just watch clips and not the whole game. If you did you would not be making such stupid comments.

• emdash01 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM

When other teams’ players watch their home runs go out against the Braves: total jerks, just trying to show up the pitcher, plunk that guy.

When Braves players watch their home runs go out: hey, they’re just being themselves, and it doesn’t bother you, personally.

You see where that’s just your bias as a fan showing up, right? If you think Justin Upton doesn’t show up pitchers, you’re not paying attention.

• stanlebroncornett - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I have no problem with any player watching his homerun go out of the park or taking a slow trot but if you actually watch these games you would see that it is not just the one little incident that all you guys are see on the clips. Some of it is long standing issues. No the braves are not always right in the way they do things but I have been a fan of the game not just the braves for 50 years and had a father who played the game and taught me about the game. The thing in the Harper incident is the fact that Harper is always crowding the plate and you are gonna get hit if you crowd the plate. The one he jawed about was a pitch that hit him on the hip. If Tehran as a pitcher was going to retaliate he would have went for the ribs or the head not the hip. I guess everyone forgot about all the pitches that were at or behind the braves during their last meetings either. The only one we talk about is the Harper deal.

• emdash01 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

If Harper crowds the plate and gets hit all the time, that would show up in his stats. In fact, he’s been hit by pitch 5 times this season – 3 by the Braves over the course of two games.

The times the Braves hit him in those two games accounts for 1/3 of his career total over two seasons.

And the Nationals did throw at the Braves the game after that, yes – because Harper got hit, repeatedly, and this is apparently the only response the Braves would actually respond to.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

stanle–what is this fantasy you have “baseball played the right way”? And you attribute it to the Braves?

Low class in both incidents this week. McCann should have been piledriven by Gomez. I have never seen a more loser routine than McCann’s last night. Blocking the path on a homerun? Unbeliveable. Brewer pitchers should take him out every at-bat next year. That’s playing the right way.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Why am I not surprised you find fault with McCann and actually think Gomez should have piledriven him? Dude ran his trap all the way around the bases to each player in the infield.

As Dan Plesac said…

“Gomez should have been drilled after the first swing.”

Had that happened…the situation would have been avoided entirely.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Baseball players are on the whole uneducated rubes, who fall in line with the unwritten rules because they could not think their way to a personal code of conduct if threatened at gun point. There is nothing inherently bad in watching your home run (Fernandez) or yelping at a pitcher and his teammates who (1) started yelling at you first, and (2) has hit you several times.

Don’t like the long look and talking? Don’t give up home runs.

Citing Plesac as a source of wisdom…words fail. He does articulate the third grade mentality of the unwritten rules well, however. The mentality you admire. No surprise.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Again…the Fernandez thing was a non issue for me. Again…go back and read the posts. You obviously haven’t done that. Had you did that you wouldn’t still be posting Fernandez drivel. The punk mentality is apparently the mentality you admire. No surprise.

Once again…I am going to side with the ex Major Leaguer in this case.
        Cause’ you know…he has lived it.

I could do this all day Roberto.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM

stlouis, you are dealing with clemente the great lib. He is never wrong, haven’t you learned that yet. They are always smarter than us and know what’s best for us. You can’t argue with their logic and win, it’s just not possible.

• clemente2 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

skids, if logic ever entered your argument, we would all faint.

• theskinsman - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Congrats, you win the most biased, least intelligent post of the month award.

3. IdahoMariner - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

@flipflopflying: I hope the Braves meet the Dodgers in the playoffs and when Puig homers, he whips out his iPhone and selfies himself around the bases.

yes. this. do this, puig. please.

• voteforno6 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I’m sure Hanley Ramirez won’t do any showboating in that series.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Why would you hope for such a think Idaho?
      You seem like a classy person (at least based upon your posts).
      That would be the opposite of classy.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Why am I not surprised that the rightwing sewer stlouis has the Braves’ side in this, and thinks the unwritten rules of macho behavior not only exist but should be followed.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Right wing? Hahaha! Come on Stymie. You don’t know anything about me. But I am starting to learn a great deal about you. I am sure you and Carlos (Punk Ass) Gomez would get a long swimmingly. The one thing that does confuse me is…
        How is it okay for a guy to do what Gomez did and NOT okay for a guy to do what McCann did?
        I am all ears Roberto.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:27 PM

You can’t win, stlouis, he’s a big liberal that knows everything about everything. It’s always the other guys’ fault. I can’t believe they think Gomez wasn’t the cause of this, that logic escapes me. Victim mentality?

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

C’mon, stlouis. Lighten up. That right there is funny. I’d laugh if Puig mocked the Braves’ self-righteousness with such a silly move. They’ve earned it. It’s baseball, not sanctified lands. Let’s not fight a holy war over some silly unwritten rules.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I guess I just tire of the constant shit talking. The constant preening. Is that even the right word? In a nutshell…I see MLB becoming the NBA with all the trash talking, smug, punk ass behavior.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Yeah, I understand. I call them the peacocks. But that would be pretty funny. If Puig really did that, he’d get so fined, nobody would do it again.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

“Peacocks.” Lol! Love it. I am gonna’ use it. Please know I will give you credit…sometimes. Just as I do with the rest of our HBT brethren.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Skids, if anyone has a victim mentality around these parts, it seems to me like it’s you. (Boy, that was a wordy way of saying “I know you are but what am I?)

How about–both of these guys behaved like dumb jocks? It was a pissing match? Not unlike most of these comments?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I agree they both are at fault. But I also don’t know that I necessarily disagree with how McCann handled the situation. From where I sit…Carlos forced his hand. Much like a few years ago with The Mouth and Yadi. When your hand is forced…you react. But again…I will agree both are to blame. Gomez instigated it with his first swing and subsequent stare. Then he rounded the bases and talked shit to every infielder. Then McCann escalated it. Yep…both at fault.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Sometimes, you just have to be the bigger man. Let Gomez look like a damn stupid punk-ass and strike his butt out next time.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yep. Or drill him in the back. Sorry…I couldn’t help it.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Everyone knows the Conservative right winger is a model of flexibility and tolerance, except toward the 47%.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Again…why would you hope for such a thing? What pleasure would you find in seeing Puig be a shit talking punk? Do tell…

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM

stlouis: disregard the personal attacks. Even I know not all Conservatives are ignorant, just like all liberals aren’t against guns.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I hear you Jimee. It makes peoples world a lot tidier when they lump everyone who disagrees with them together. You and I could pound drinks all night Jimee. Even if you are misguided. Lol!

• stlproper - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

First things first. This impostor stlouis1baseball…. is not a stlouisian! This idiot probably lives in Illinois across the river from Saint Louis and might even be a Braves fan. There is no way the braves should get away with what they did last night. McCann should be given at least a 50 game suspension and that little punk Johnson should be given 100 game suspension. The Brewers were kicking the braves butt and the braves could not take it.

• stlproper - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

New around these parts huh? Who the hell said I was from St. Louis? I am not going waste my time explaining my personal affiliations. Or the fact that (AT TEN YEARS OLD) I was brainwashed a Cardinals fan by my Father (WHO GREW UP IN MISSOURI). Or the fact that I drive over FROM INDIANA a handful of times a year to take in a game. Or the fact that my Wife and I took our little girls to their first Cardinals game a few Months ago. Or the fact that I was actually engaged at the old Busch Stadium with Fredbird delivering the gosh damned ring. Nope…not gonna waste time. Lol!
        Do your homework Cletus so your ignorance isn’t so glaring.
        And when you return from doing said homework…explain to me why McCann is the one getting all the flack and Gomez is the victim.

4. jeanaroper4177 - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Why don’t U cry a little bit !!

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Shortage of Kleenex since Republicans lost two in a row to a black guy.

• roadryder - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Who is actually no better than a pre-Gingrich Republican and probably would prefer to be a Republican.

5. jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM

You have no problem in engaging in macho behavior through the computer screen. You do it all the time. You know you’ve become confrontational at lesser provocations… through the safety of the internet. Your problem is with physical confrontation. Fight or flight is very real. You are unquestionably a flight, McCann is unquestionably a fight. Their is a density to acting like all macho people are putting on an act, and that they aren’t wired that way through nurture and nature. You get mad all the time, but your world is computer screens, Brian McCann’s world is the adrenaline based. What should McCann do, turn it off? Great idea.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

On point jrd8523. This. Right. Here.

“You get mad all the time, but your world is computer screens, Brian McCann’s world is the adrenaline based.” “What should McCann do, turn it of?”

“Its just humorous to read all these people who constantly say angry and confrontational things over the internet get outraged when people do it face to face.”

Bunch of “Oh the humanity…think of the Children” hypocrites.

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:14 PM

That’s a little much. The problem is that Craig has no problem with macho confrontation. He has no problem jumping into twitter arguments and insulting players who aren’t even talking to him. But when it’s face to face? Stop the macho orthodoxy! Crag bashes players for fighting on the field, he bashes players for using the word fat on twitter. The ideas that players should be zoo animals, or more like him (except he bashing them for that), is pure idealism.

• stlproper - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

How does it feel to be an impostor and try to make real Saint Louis residents look like fools. You are a complete idiot if you think what McCann and Johnson did last night was the correct thing to do. Nobody outside of Atlanta will ever see again what McCann did last night. Both should be suspended and i’m sure MLB will take care of that asap. Again i don’t like fakes who try to make my city the 631 look like complete fools. Get a life and get real!

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Seems like the definition of hypocrisy.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

You don’t see the difference between physical confrontation and a verbal one? The last time I checked, one can threaten someone’s career–nay, someone’s life. The other does not. I leave it to you to figure out which one is which. If what you’re saying is correct about fight or flight (and it is not–it a gross over simplification that shows a lack of knowledge of the sympathetic nervous system), McCann is a danger to society. Civilized people are not slaves to the fight response.

From what I know of Craig, he would have no problem saying to someone’s face what he says on the internet. Since he is not a moronic caveman, I doubt he’d punch them.

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Ofcourse it’s a simplification, it’s a baseball comment blog. But that’s a nice insult, sorry I didn’t break down the sympathetic nervous system after using the analogy. No doubt some of the people who you call moronic caveman are smarter than you. “McCann is a danger to society” You certainly believe in making assanine statements directly after insulting peoples intelligence. McCann is probably smarter than you, good chance. When you act like getting into a fight is murder you might not have much perspective. Might explain why you and Craig are acting like it’s time for revolution, while everybody else is living in the real world.

Craig believes in sticking up for bloggers the same way players believe in sticking up for players. Fact, he’s done it. Punching people is more harmful than typing? You don’t say. I’m not surprised you think Craig would walk up to J.P. Arenciba and tell him he’s a joke. It fits.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Well, for one thing, your analogy doesn’t make sense.
        First you say he’s confrontational through the internet, but then you say he’s a flight. Which is it? Is he a fight (confrontation through the internet) or is he a flight? Also, you were the one equating verbal confrontation with physical confrontation. I’m happy to see you do realize there is a difference. I was concerned.

“Might explain why you and Craig are acting like it’s time for revolution, while everybody else is living in the real world”–says the person arguing with me on the internet. You do realize what you’re doing?

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I’m basing flight on personal opinion after reading how Craig expresses himself every time their is physical violence. Do I scientificly know? No.

“Son, you completely misunderstood me. I said IF what you said is true, McCann is a danger. What you said is NOT true. Therefore, McCann is NOT a danger. Does that make sense? (If A is true, then B is true. If A is false, then B is false.)” If what I said was true, your statement is still a complete overraction that generalizes anyone who chooses fight. Have fun with the sweeping generalizations. You don’t have to be a murderous Neanderthal to be that way, sorry.

“says the person arguing with me on the internet. You do realize what you’re doing?” Yeah. The same thing you are doing. Doesn’t really apply to me criticizing you and Craig for calling for players to play the game a different way than whats accepted because it’s too macho for you. Nowhere do I say he, or you, shouldn’t share your opinion.

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM

“I’m happy to see you do realize there is a difference. I was concerned.” What a pompus statement. The fact that you would even say that out is a testament to how stupid everyone is to you. Fits right into your generalizations.

If you equate talking to somebody through a computer screen, with all the physical repercussions and dangers removed as fight, than that explains a lot.

• indaburg - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:48 PM

You’re funny… seriously, I’m laughing out loud.

You see, my concern was meant as a joke, my sensitive soul. I was teasing. People best tread carefully with you. Touchy, touchy.

All people are not stupid to me. You are coming off a bit ignorant and simple minded to me, but that’s just you–not all people. Please don’t make sweeping generalizations about me making sweeping generalizations. I’m only making a sweeping generalization about you.

Your logic is quite dizzying. If you were here in person, I assure you, I would talk to you in the same manner. I have a big mouth.

Now, go have a glass of wine and relax. This is silly.

6. fissels - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I like the macho orthodoxy. It’s part of what makes baseball, the baseball we love so much

7. Steve A - Sep 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

What were the odds that Gomez would have charged Freeman after he touched home plate? With the look in his eyes, I’d say that was a likely scenario.

8. main1two - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

It’s analogous to the “Greater Fool”: You do something stupid; I’ll don something stupider!

9. Steve A - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I still can’t believe that there are people out there who think it’s acceptable in any fashion for one player to interrupt the home run trot of another player.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM

this–and you can allocate idiocy to each of them, and ignore their comments thereafter on any topic

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:40 PM

It’s really too bad. I liked Gomez. Respected his game. Then he showed zero class.
        I wonder how many times they (he and the Braves Pitcher) have faced each other?
        After all the replays last night of the AB’s…it seems there were numerous times.
        And it also seems like out of all those times the Braves Pitcher hit him TWICE.
        Now admittedly…I haven’t done the research. But something seems odd.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I still can’t believe that there are people out there who think it’s acceptable in any fashion for a player to run his trap at every infielder while rounding the bases after a home run.

10. kane337 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM

A lot of you need to check in your “man card”. Especially the writer of this article.

• nbjays - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Man card? Did your wife give you permission to have that?

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Only boys think there is a man card.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Looking at the thumbs up and down you got, I know for sure now that the wussification of America is alive and well on NBC.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

So many God damn fat slobs: what do you expect?

11. mattlukethompson - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I cannot wait for the Braves to get swept in the first round and strike out over 40 times in three games. A team built for the regular season with no true ace and a bunch of free swinging babies who get mad when another team homers.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM

At least they get there, which is more than 20 other teams can say.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Let me fix this…

“who get mad when someone runs his punk ass mouth at every player in the infield while rounding the bases after a home run.”

• stanlebroncornett - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

This is my last comment on this subject. For all you guys who are blasting the braves over three games why dont you go back and check all the teams and the games they have played this year and see how many incidents you can find. I bet you will find as many incidents with other teams taking exceptions like the braves have. I do not like the fact that the braves have not won but one world series in the last 22 years but they are the winningest team over that period and that makes everyone hate them and love to see them lose and also to get bad press. Why is it that people always hate the winners.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Since you are making the argument that other teams do this, then you do the research.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I have never seen a catcher stop a home run trot. Ever. McCann should be fined and suspended big time. But he won’t because he’s ‘macho’. Oh, I mean a classless low life.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I’ve never seen a batter scream at every infielder all the way around the diamond. Bet he don’t do it again. If McCann is fined, so should Gomez. I don’t like him at all any more, that was totally classless what he did.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

“This is my last comment on this subject.”

Promise?

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

“This is my last comment on this subject.”

Promise?

12. stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I have waited all day to post because I just knew there was going to be nothing but nonsense on this particular article. Starting with the writers take. Soooo typical.
    I learned a few things a last night. Both of which surprised the hell out of me and one which disappoints me.

1) Carlos Gomez is a punk ass. A punk ass who obviously suffers from serious paranoia.
    2) Brian McCann has more integrity in his little finger than Gomez’s punk ass has in his whole body.

Dude didn’t even let the punk ass make it to home plate! I am now a huge Brian McCann fan.

Brian McCann – 1
    Carlos Gomez – 0

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I agree with you Stlouis 100%.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Yea we know stlouis, the bad guy is not white, so he is a punk ass, just like that punk ass Fernandez a few days ago….predictable from you

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hahaha! Now I am a racist? You literally made me laugh out loud. I WAS IN A MIXED MARRIAGE.
        You need to go back and read those posts Chump. Had you done that…you would see that I took back what I said after someone pointed out he did NOT laugh in their faces after getting outs. You are an idiot.

• skids003 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM

When all else fails, throw in the “r” word, clemente. Now that’s classless.

• stex52 - Sep 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hey, SLB, maybe a little over the top. I’m not going to get into all of the silliness going on around you, but here is a thought.

1. Gomez obviously has personal issues with Maholm. He got the perfect revenge; he hit a home run. But he went over the edge. Not cool. But he apologized after the game.
      2. McCann is clearly getting an inflated opinion of himself as “THE ENFORCER.” He shouldn’t have blocked the base path, and he could have cooled things down. I saw Brad Ausmus do that on many occasion, and he was as tough as anyone you can name. But McCann was provoked.

So both guys get some wrong. But I wouldn’t draw any conclusions about them for anything beyond that incident last night.

13. Kevin Gillman - Sep 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

When McCann was standing in Carlos’ way, I wa expecting to see Carlos spear him.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Should have

• theskinsman - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Gomez is a pussy.All bark,no bite. So are his supporters. Too bad it’s this close to the playoffs,or there could have been a good chance of McCann cold cocking the little yapping bitch.
        Que up the Craig led limp wristed whine against young men with testosterone playing a team sport. I guess he never experienced anything like this in drama club in high school.

14. dgannon15 - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

The Atlanta Braves are the fun police and Brian McCann is the Chief. They are cracking down on all celebrations. Other teams beware. Brian McCann’s new nickname should be Mr. Wilson (Dennis The Menace).

15. innout10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM

You always stand up for your teammates no matter if its first game, last game or Carlos Gomez. If u played team sports you would know that.

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM

He knows http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/j-p-arencibia-is-really-mature/

His blogger friend is disrespected so he plays the role of Brian McCann and attacks the player who confronted him. He believes in attacking people who disrespect people in his profession. When the situation is applied to him he has no problem with action. He clearly is proud that he is “standing up” for his colleague… Just like McCann. Different people, different methods.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

And again…the definition of hypocrisy.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM

innout10:
      My guess…85% of them haven’t played team sports.

16. notsofast10 - Sep 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I don’t get it! I saw a replay with sound and you could clearly hear word for work Maholm yelling “Start f’ing running god damn it” Those were the first words after Gomez watched his HR. And if Gomez admiring his HR is that bad, then Maholm and the Braves really need thicker skin. I am not a Brewers fan or Braves fan and that is what I heard and saw. Maholm started it with his mouth!!!1

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Dan Plesac said Gomez started it what the first swing and subsequent stare.
      So much so…Plesac said he should have been drilled immediately after the first swing.
      Further…Plesac said it was have prevented the whole thing from happening.

I am gonna side with the ex Major Leaguer on this one.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Don’t confuse the macho boys with facts.

17. mlblogsbatmeetsball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Well it does sound to me that some people are mad that some of their teams didn’t clinch anything this year. You call the Braves classless, but they have a guy by the name of Tim Hudson, who has been nominated for the Roberto Clemente award for excellence off the field. I love how people can sit here on comment boards like this and pass judgement on these players without ever having been on the field or in the dugout when it happened. May not be the applicable sport, but quitcher armchair quarterbacking for pete’s sake.

• richarddansky - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You do know that /every/ team has a nominee for the Clemente Award, yes?

The Brewers’ is Jonathan Lucroy.

And that Gomez does plenty of charity work?

Or that Gomez won the “Heart and Hustle Award” on the team this year, given to, and I quote, players who “best embody the values, spirit, and tradition of the game”

Yes, it’s a terrible shame that people do armchair quarterbacking, and pass judgment on athletes without doing any research on them.

• roadryder - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Doesn’t mean he isn’t capable of acting like a dick.

18. sc101071 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Braves Beat Writer for AJC says it best: “Soft”

“Whatever you think about it, know this: To a man in the Braves clubhouse, from the manager through the roster, they loved the fact that McCann, for the second time in two weeks, stood up for his pitcher after he saw a hitter show up his guy and, in McCann’s view, disrespect his teammates.

And if you don’t think that it means something that in both instances – at Miami with Jose Fernandez, and last night – the player in question apologized afterward and said how much he respected McCann, then I’d suggest you’re not looking at it from the perspective of those inside the game or who’ve followed baseball long enough to know this sport is different. Thankfully.”

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

The fact idiots stand with each other is not new or news. Celebrating idiocy, either.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

You are obviously racist. So much so…if McCann weren’t white you wouldn’t have an issue with how he responded to Gomez disrespecting his entire team.
        Racist race baiter.

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Yeah all of his teammates and coaches are idiots. Doesn’t matter that the players accept and believe in it, that they continue this behavior every year and feel it’s the way the game is played… The internet knows the acutual way the game is supposed to be played. The only reason the players continue to play the game the way the game is played is because they have been tangled in the macho orthodox web. Idiots! Doesn’t matter that we all confront people who we think are disrespecting people we care about. You’ve probably sided with principle over reason at some point. Probably have an idiot in your family you’ve stood by.

• clemente2 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Actually, I do think standing with your tribe (team, nation, company) ‘just because’, is idiotic. We see examples of it all the time, from empty-headed patriotism to failures to stop corporate wrongdoing.

Don’t elevate it to ‘sided with principle’.

“[T]he way the game is played” is a fanciful concoction to justify players’ emotional reactions at a particular time. As many have noted, the same players will cite opposing ‘unwritten rules’ when it comes to justifying their actions in different cases. There is no ‘right way’ about it, just ass covering and justifying with ‘principle’ being mad and acting out.

If the Braves had just yelled back at Gomez, I would have no problem, though I would think they are taking such yelling way too seriously.

But McCann was totally wrong. Once you leave it to each player to decide if the behaviour of other players is in or out of the unwritten rules, and then be permitted to take physical action to enforce that belief in a way completely contrary to the written rules, you are asking for chaos on the field. Hardly, the “right way to play the game”.

And I am not even going to get into the whole muffin-headed ‘respect’ thing, a plague on rational action all over.

• jrd8523 - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I get that you think players shouldn’t fight over the unwritten rules. But they do, they always have, and decades from now they will likely be doing the same thing. Because the players and the coaches think it’s right, they think you are the idiot, and don’t seem puruaded by your argument that they should stop doing what highly competetive human beings do.

Dont elevate it to siding with principle? If it wasn’t a principle of the game we wouldn’t be talking about it. You don’t think it is? That’s nice. You should send MLB your memo. It would be nice if people didn’t have emotions in highly competitive environments that bring them into phsycial confrontation. But they do. It’s part of the human condition. This article writes itself every year. I like that you think it’s dumb to stand by your “clan”. Despite how stupid it is to you to stand by your family because they are your family, and how you condemn it, you’ve probably done it. Just like most of the people here have done something someone out there would consider a overreaction. Except its not to them.

19. mlblogsbatmeetsball - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I also wonder what this writer was thinking when Nyjer Morgan was doing his nonsense in Milwaukee?

20. scdocal - Sep 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

What did Freeman do to get tossed? An inadvertent elbow which happens when ur literally swimming through people. For all those that say Mac shouldn’t have blocked home plate, when was the last time a player rounded the bases running their mouths at every player he came in contact with. Mac shouldn’t apologize. He stood up for his pitcher. All these people that have a problem with the way baseball polices itself don’t watch it. It’s the way it has always been and it won’t change. So why care.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Gomez is now contrite about the incident, saying he didn’t handle himself like a pro and actually said he would have done EXACTLY what McCann did if he were him. For this I have a great deal of respect for Gomez. He knows he should have let his bat do the talking and kept his mouth shut. That’s professionalism. McCann only did what any catcher would have done.

• Anoesis - Sep 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Except that McCann did what no catcher has ever done that I know of.

21. Rick Cosmo - Oct 2, 2013 at 1:02 AM

i cannot judge they that judge

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto