Sep 27, 2013, 5:57 PM EST
According to Mozeliak, Craig is dealing with one of the dreaded Lisfranc injuries involving a metatarsal bone and the Cardinals don’t want him trying to play through it and make things worse.
Fortunately, the Cardinals do have a fine replacement on hand in Matt Adams, who has hit eight homers in September while filling in at first base. In fact, Adams has a higher OPS than Craig this year (.847-.830), though Craig has the incredible clutch numbers (.454 average with RISP, 97 RBI in 134 games) and he offers a little better defense. Certainly, the Cardinals would have gone back Craig had he been available.
Their lineup, though, remains plenty imposing with Adams having replaced Craig in the cleanup spot. He may well be there for the duration of the Cardinals’ postseason run.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)