Sep 27, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
According to Mozeliak, Craig is dealing with one of the dreaded Lisfranc injuries involving a metatarsal bone and the Cardinals don’t want him trying to play through it and make things worse.
Fortunately, the Cardinals do have a fine replacement on hand in Matt Adams, who has hit eight homers in September while filling in at first base. In fact, Adams has a higher OPS than Craig this year (.847-.830), though Craig has the incredible clutch numbers (.454 average with RISP, 97 RBI in 134 games) and he offers a little better defense. Certainly, the Cardinals would have gone back Craig had he been available.
Their lineup, though, remains plenty imposing with Adams having replaced Craig in the cleanup spot. He may well be there for the duration of the Cardinals’ postseason run.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The Lester trade is a win-win 84
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 145
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (146)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)