Sep 27, 2013, 5:57 PM EST
According to Mozeliak, Craig is dealing with one of the dreaded Lisfranc injuries involving a metatarsal bone and the Cardinals don’t want him trying to play through it and make things worse.
Fortunately, the Cardinals do have a fine replacement on hand in Matt Adams, who has hit eight homers in September while filling in at first base. In fact, Adams has a higher OPS than Craig this year (.847-.830), though Craig has the incredible clutch numbers (.454 average with RISP, 97 RBI in 134 games) and he offers a little better defense. Certainly, the Cardinals would have gone back Craig had he been available.
Their lineup, though, remains plenty imposing with Adams having replaced Craig in the cleanup spot. He may well be there for the duration of the Cardinals’ postseason run.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)