And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Sep 27, 2013, 6:32 AM EDT

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim v Texas Rangers Getty Images

Rangers 6, Angels 5: They were up then down then bang! Jurickson Profar with the walkoff blast. This one would’ve been way easier, however, if Mitch MorelandIan Kinsler and Adrian Beltre all hadn’t committed errors in the second inning, allowing three unearned runs. But it was a must-win game and the Rangers won.

Indians 6, Twins 5: A win, sure, but the way Chris Perez nearly coughed up a 6-1 lead the day after getting a vote of confidence from Terry Francona has to make Cleveland nervous. Apart from mopup duty or innings eating in games where the Tribe has, like, a 12-run lead, he’ll likely be watching the rest of this series from the bullpen bench.

Rays 4, Yankees 0: The Rays finish off a sweep of the Yankees with ease — they outscored New York 17-3 — but the real story here was the farewell of Mariano Rivera. It wasn’t a save situation, but his final home game was pretty familiar stuff: zeros across the board apart from the innings pitched and pitch count. And the way he was taken out of the game was as touching as can be.

Braves 7, Phillies 1: Jason Heyward was 5 for 5 and David Hale allowed only one run over six innings. See, Brian McCann? That’s how you keep the opposition from crossing home plate.

Padres 3, Diamondbacks 2Alexi Amarista hit an RBI single in the 11th inning, ending the home portion of the Padres season. They were 45-36 at home this year. Not bad for a team that, overall, has only won 75 games. Since I got back late Monday I’ve been trying to convince my bosses at NBC that I’d perform better in San Diego too, but they’re not buying it.

Orioles 3, Blue Jays 2: Miguel Gonzalez pitched seven innings of two-hit ball. Matt Wieters homered. After the game Wieters said “that was vintage Miggy” of Gonzalez’s performance. Gonzalez has one and a half years experience.

Brewers 4, Mets 2: Johnny Hellweg beaned David Wright in the head. Wright is OK, but damn, I hope these final meaningless games are worth it for Wright. The beaning wasn’t intentional. Afterward Hellweg said “That’s the last guy on the team I want to hit.” I’d be curious to see his list of priorities.

Giants 3, Dodgers 2: This could’ve been the final game for Tim Lincecum in a Giants uniform. If so, not too bad: seven innings, eight hits, two runs and a no-decision. Angel Pagan‘s homer in the eighth broke a 2-2- tie.

Royals 3, White Sox 2David Lough hit a two-run homer and Jeremy Guthrie pitched well. It was the Royals’ 84th win, which is their best total since 1993.

1. dondada10 - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:39 AM

As excited as I am for playoff baseball, it’s sad to see the regular season ending.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Fun wasn’t it. A changing of the guard is happening and there are still some meaningful games to play in order to settle the Wild Card race.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I want to congratulate the Royals on a fine season even though Cleveland’s win eliminate the Royals from the Wild Card race. They are currently a game ahead of Baltimore and 2 games ahead of the Yankees. Personally, I hope that they finish the season ahead of those two teams.

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Because you want the Royals to have less money than those teams to spend on the draft or international amateur players? With the current structure of the CBA, if you miss the playoffs…you may as well have as bad a record as possible….as a fan, it is hard to root for losses, but in the grand scheme of things, there is a disadvantage to finishing a little higher in the standings….because if you miss the playoffs, you just finish tied for also ran.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Interesting point; however, since the draft is such a crap shoot, it doesn’t matter all that much. The Yankees for example, haven’t drafted very well in recent years anyways. I am sure that Royals fans are happy that their team has had a winning season.

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I suppose…but really, that should only be true if it points to better things in the future. Their system isn’t exactly chock full of prospects at the moment. Their offense remains one of the worst in MLB and they are losing their 2nd best pitcher to FA. They have a couple of nice pitching prospects…but that is about it and Shields is gone after 1 more year. Best case scenario is continued mediocrity, which, I guess, is better than sucking, but not the goal of teams or fan bases.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Here’s another point both have you have not brought up: Draft Pick Protection. The Bottom 10 have their first round pick protected (among other exceptions, I believe the Jays have a first round protected pick no matter what). This allows such teams to sign a free agent who received a qualifying offer without losing their spot.

Right now it makes a big difference: For example the Phillies are in the bottom ten separated from the Mets by just 1 win. It could make the difference between signing or holding back.

• paperlions - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Indeed. I want the Phillies to beat Atlanta so the Cardinals get home field…Atlanta won the season series 4-3, and I assume that is the 1st tie-breaker if they end up with the same record….huge difference in who you face in the first round and, if you advance, getting home field in the NLCS….Atl and StL have the biggest disparity in the NL between home and road records.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:30 AM

There is another veteran relief pitcher who is about to retire in 3 days. Darren Oliver is a year older than Mo Rivera. He has had a long career for several teams. The Blue Jay players chipped in and commissioned a painting of him done by Vernon Wells Sr. It features portraits in uniform of Oliver as a rookie and as he currently looks, combined with logos of all the teams ha has played for.

• dan1111 - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Congrats to Darren Oliver on a long career. He has been around forever–did you know he was a team mate of Nolan Ryan? I believe he is the last one still playing.

• jwbiii - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

dan1111, Yes, Darren Oliver is the last active teammate of Nolan Ryan.

At least six of them (Tommie Agee, Lyman Bostock, Tug McGraw, Joe Niekro, Tony Solaita, Dick Stuart) are deceased.

• indaburg - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM

With all the Mo fanfare, I forgot about Darren Oliver. Another vestige of my youth retiring. It’s too bad we haveto get old.

• nbjays - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

You? Old? I highly doubt it, ‘Burgie. :-)

4. necr0philia - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Go Braves!

5. detroitr1 - Sep 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM

“Apart from mopup duty or innings eating in games where the Tribe has, like, a 12-run lead, he’ll likely be watching the rest of this series from the bullpen bench.”

Jose Valverde and Chris Perez walk into a bar…

• zzalapski - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

*bonk*

In fairness to them, when you’re trudging off the mound with your head hung that low, it’s easy to not see what you’re about to walk into.

6. grumpyoleman - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Fans don’t root for losses. Finishing a spot or two higher than other teams will most likely not have an effect on your teams short or long term future.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I once thought that paperlions was the grumpyoleman. I see that I was wrong. Anyways, I agree with you.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM

There can be more than one grumpyoldman.

• indaburg - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Depending on the day, it can be any one of us. Even us girls.

7. Old Gator - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM

No Feesh game – a short vacation to prepare them for the long vacation they have so richly earned. I drove past the stadium last night on the way home from the world famous Luna Star Cafe in North Macondo, where the lissome Brie baristas no more – she has fled to Prague for the weenter to do graduate studies in managing children, who are horrible. From the highway, the stadium looked just as empty as if there were ackcherley a game being played – kinda like Salem’s Lot in the daytime.

The Tiggers come in tonight to put Jim Leyland’s old team from antiquity immemorial out of its misery for hibernation season. Then, let Scrooge McLoria’s highly anticipated slaughter of the upper echelons begin. Perhaps we will find out what grim fate has befallen the Chihuahua. Perhaps he will be found by the side of I-95 with his throat cut and his tail stuffed in his mouth.

• historiophiliac - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Detroit Feesh!

• indaburg - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I wouldn’t eat any feesh caught in Detroit.

• Old Gator - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Yeah, this final series reminds me of the Grateful Dead song “My Brother Esau.”

• proudlycanadian - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

1) Contrary to popular conception, the fish in the Great Lakes are safe to eat.

2) There were several hairy men like Esau in the Grateful Dead.

• Old Gator - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Have you seen what Bob Weir looks like these days? He looks like Josh Reddick with a worse case of lycanthropy.

8. indaburg - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Well, the Indians, Rangers, and Rays all decide to get hot at once. Isn’t that just a swell development. Well, for anyone without a horse in the race, it certainly does make things more interesting. Chris Perez, you keep on doing what you do.

This morning, I was retelling the story of how Mo Rivera got taken out of last night’s game to a fellow baseball fan who missed it because she was sleeping (yeah, some people have their priorities messed up) and I teared up again. I’m getting soft. Who says there’s no crying in baseball?

I read this morning that this season is only the second time in 19 years that the Yankees failed to make the play-offs. Considering the has-beens (Vernon Wells?), the injuries (too many to list) and the faltering of their long time ace (put some meat on those bones, CC), it’s really amazing they hung in as long as they did. I know by Yankee standards, this season is a failure, but I think considering what they had to deal with, it’s one of their best. (Am I really comforting Yankee fans?)

• stex52 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

We can feel sympathy for any group. Once they are safely eliminated, that is. I have been guilty of that sin in my life.

• indaburg - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Yeah, yeah. It’s my bleeding heart liberal tendencies at show.

• dcarroll73 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Comfort would be a bit more than a non-playoff year can allow, but thanks for the sentiment. I happen to agree with you about the way they coped with adversity. I am still hoping they play it smart and get under the luxury cap (which probably includes avoiding a too long contract to Cano.) I don’t know what the solution is for CC. Obviously that much weight takes its toll on a body, but he sure didn’t have the old fire when he lost some. Oh well, if I had to pick a season for him to be off, this would be the one.

• indaburg - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I think the smart move is to let Cano walk. Let the LAD pay that contract. Rebuild, get under that salary cap.

The data shows that all things being equal, heavier pitchers are more successful. Lose weight after retirement. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/does-size-matter-part-6/

9. jwbiii - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Updated playoff percentages:

Team     FG   B-Pro   Schedule
    TBR*   98.7    96.8   3 @Tor
    Cle*   78.8    66.2   3 @Min
    Tex    22.5    37.0   3 LAA

All of the contenders won, so it’s just another day off the calendar. The Rangers lost a little bit of ground.

Elimination news: The Rangers are down to 3.

*Holds wild card berth

• historiophiliac - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

You will soon be out of a job.

• gloccamorra - Sep 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Wildcard game odds, league divisional series odds, championship series odds and World Series odds are all waiting ahead.

10. APBA Guy - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Bartolo versus the King tonight. Still worthwhile viewing with 3 games left. Playoffs don’t start until next Friday so no worries about “setting up” the rotation. The only concern is who comes after El Capitan and Parker. Probably Griffin and Gray and a squad of relievers warming from the 3rd inning on. A’s fans are very cautious about advancing past the ALDS, but we live in hope.

11. rynev - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

It’s obviously not really all that important, but I think it technically was a save situation that Rivera pitched in (at least if he had finished the game) since the tying run was on deck when he came into the game.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3463)