Sep 27, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
It’s almost admirable to see a guy who has been as wrong on an issue as Bill Madden of the Daily News has been on A-Rod keep plugging away at it anyway.
Over the summer Madden reported that A-Rod was looking for a way to retire. He did not retire. He reported that A-Rod was physically disabled and would likely take a disablement retirement. He came back anyway. Madden said he was done as a baseball player and would be a distraction. A-Rod played pretty well there for a while and basically disappeared from the headlines as the Yankees played their best baseball of the season. I mean, he’s the equivalent of, like, 0-for-130 when it comes to handicapping Alex Rodriguez‘s situation.
Yet he carries on nonetheless! Yesterday he wrote that A-Rod is freaked out about his upcoming hearing, that the hearing is the reason he’s finishing poorly and, well, just look:
…According to one source in the know, despite his blowhard lawyer Joe Tacopina’s bravado that Rodriguez doesn’t deserve even one day of suspension, A-Rod “is terrified” about the hearing on his 211-game drug suspension that begins Monday in New York. According to the source, that might partly explain the recent 3-for-17 (.081) slump in which he’s looked so helpless … He needs to get a grip on reality — which is that he’s finished as a player and guilty as charged as a serial steroids cheat. His best option now is to try and make a deal with MLB, so at least all the lurid details of just how guilty he is and how much he betrayed Don Hooton’s kids may never come out.
That comes after paragraphs in which Madden gives uncritical and unchallenged voice to “baseball people” hating on A-Rod for being unselfish and not just taking his ridiculous 211-game suspension without question. I mean he could have, I dunno, speculated what might have happened if A-Rod was given a more proportional suspension rather than been forced into an appeal by MLB, but that would totally kill his A-Rod is the Antichrist schtick.
Oh, and as for that “A-Rod should make a deal” stuff? That kinda flies in the face of Madden’s “MLB will not make a deal with A-Rod” stuff from a month or two ago.
But keep on fighting the good fight, Bill. As anyone in a serious slump will tell you, you just gotta play through it.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)