Sep 27, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Yesterday TBS announced its postseason crew. Keith Olbermann will man the studio and with him will be Pedro Martinez and Tom Verducci. On merit alone that’s a solid studio team, assuming of course Pedro is as candid in his studio analysis as he is in interviews and public appearances.
But it may have been more than merit alone which led to that particular composition. Another guy is rumored to have been in the mix: Bobby Valentine. And Neil best of Newsday reports that the reason he was ultimately passed over was his recent jive about how the Yankees weren’t around in the community after 9/11 like the Mets were.
We talked about those at length a couple of weeks ago. The comments were both counterfactual and bizarre and spoke to a person with a pretty skewed and likely self-centered view of events. Neither of which are qualities that go well with a TV baseball analyst. So, whether it was 9/11 or what kind of mustache wax one should use, it makes a lot of sense that TBS went in another direction.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)