Sep 27, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
Yesterday TBS announced its postseason crew. Keith Olbermann will man the studio and with him will be Pedro Martinez and Tom Verducci. On merit alone that’s a solid studio team, assuming of course Pedro is as candid in his studio analysis as he is in interviews and public appearances.
But it may have been more than merit alone which led to that particular composition. Another guy is rumored to have been in the mix: Bobby Valentine. And Neil best of Newsday reports that the reason he was ultimately passed over was his recent jive about how the Yankees weren’t around in the community after 9/11 like the Mets were.
We talked about those at length a couple of weeks ago. The comments were both counterfactual and bizarre and spoke to a person with a pretty skewed and likely self-centered view of events. Neither of which are qualities that go well with a TV baseball analyst. So, whether it was 9/11 or what kind of mustache wax one should use, it makes a lot of sense that TBS went in another direction.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 7
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 7
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 17
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 59
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 23
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)