Sep 27, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
Yesterday TBS announced its postseason crew. Keith Olbermann will man the studio and with him will be Pedro Martinez and Tom Verducci. On merit alone that’s a solid studio team, assuming of course Pedro is as candid in his studio analysis as he is in interviews and public appearances.
But it may have been more than merit alone which led to that particular composition. Another guy is rumored to have been in the mix: Bobby Valentine. And Neil best of Newsday reports that the reason he was ultimately passed over was his recent jive about how the Yankees weren’t around in the community after 9/11 like the Mets were.
We talked about those at length a couple of weeks ago. The comments were both counterfactual and bizarre and spoke to a person with a pretty skewed and likely self-centered view of events. Neither of which are qualities that go well with a TV baseball analyst. So, whether it was 9/11 or what kind of mustache wax one should use, it makes a lot of sense that TBS went in another direction.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)