Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
General manager Kevin Towers is committed to keeping Kirk Gibson as the Diamondbacks’ manager next season, but it sounds like his coaching staff might not be so lucky following a disappointing year.
Gibson has talked about taking “100 percent responsibility” for the season, but here’s what Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
If there are changes to be made. we’re going to probably try to do them rather quickly. … I don’t think anybody’s looking to point a finger to our club finishing around .500 this year because of our coaching staff. What you have to do is look at your product, the people that you have, and make sure you have the right people that are leading that product and coaching that product to get the most out of it. Those are questions that Gibby and I need to talk about.
Piecoro notes that the coaching staff is filled with former All-Stars (Matt Williams, Charles Nagy, Don Baylor, Steve Sax, Alan Trammell) who were praised for their work in 2011 and 2012. And the only real change since then was the departure of Eric Young as first base coach. But when expectations aren’t met and the manager is safe, coaches are always going to be on the chopping block.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)