Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
General manager Kevin Towers is committed to keeping Kirk Gibson as the Diamondbacks’ manager next season, but it sounds like his coaching staff might not be so lucky following a disappointing year.
Gibson has talked about taking “100 percent responsibility” for the season, but here’s what Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
If there are changes to be made. we’re going to probably try to do them rather quickly. … I don’t think anybody’s looking to point a finger to our club finishing around .500 this year because of our coaching staff. What you have to do is look at your product, the people that you have, and make sure you have the right people that are leading that product and coaching that product to get the most out of it. Those are questions that Gibby and I need to talk about.
Piecoro notes that the coaching staff is filled with former All-Stars (Matt Williams, Charles Nagy, Don Baylor, Steve Sax, Alan Trammell) who were praised for their work in 2011 and 2012. And the only real change since then was the departure of Eric Young as first base coach. But when expectations aren’t met and the manager is safe, coaches are always going to be on the chopping block.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)