Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
General manager Kevin Towers is committed to keeping Kirk Gibson as the Diamondbacks’ manager next season, but it sounds like his coaching staff might not be so lucky following a disappointing year.
Gibson has talked about taking “100 percent responsibility” for the season, but here’s what Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
If there are changes to be made. we’re going to probably try to do them rather quickly. … I don’t think anybody’s looking to point a finger to our club finishing around .500 this year because of our coaching staff. What you have to do is look at your product, the people that you have, and make sure you have the right people that are leading that product and coaching that product to get the most out of it. Those are questions that Gibby and I need to talk about.
Piecoro notes that the coaching staff is filled with former All-Stars (Matt Williams, Charles Nagy, Don Baylor, Steve Sax, Alan Trammell) who were praised for their work in 2011 and 2012. And the only real change since then was the departure of Eric Young as first base coach. But when expectations aren’t met and the manager is safe, coaches are always going to be on the chopping block.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)