Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
General manager Kevin Towers is committed to keeping Kirk Gibson as the Diamondbacks’ manager next season, but it sounds like his coaching staff might not be so lucky following a disappointing year.
Gibson has talked about taking “100 percent responsibility” for the season, but here’s what Towers told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic:
If there are changes to be made. we’re going to probably try to do them rather quickly. … I don’t think anybody’s looking to point a finger to our club finishing around .500 this year because of our coaching staff. What you have to do is look at your product, the people that you have, and make sure you have the right people that are leading that product and coaching that product to get the most out of it. Those are questions that Gibby and I need to talk about.
Piecoro notes that the coaching staff is filled with former All-Stars (Matt Williams, Charles Nagy, Don Baylor, Steve Sax, Alan Trammell) who were praised for their work in 2011 and 2012. And the only real change since then was the departure of Eric Young as first base coach. But when expectations aren’t met and the manager is safe, coaches are always going to be on the chopping block.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)