Sep 27, 2013, 12:37 AM EDT
Royals closer Greg Holland pitched a scoreless ninth in a 3-2 game against the White Sox on Thursday, giving him his team-record 46th save in 49 chances this season.
Holland overtook Dan Quisenberry (1983) and Jeff Montgomery (1993) for the Royals record. He also fanned two batters to top 100 strikeouts for the season; he’s at 101 in 66 innings.
That makes Holland the 14th pitcher (11th different) to record 40 saves and 100 strikeouts in a season. Eric Gagne did it three times. The Braves’ Craig Kimbrel has a chance to do it for the third time this year, but he’s still four strikeouts short (he has 49 saves) with probably one or two appearances remaining. Also having pulled it off are Armando Benitez, Billy Wagner, Brad Lidge, Bryan Harvey, John Wetteland, Robb Nen, Trevor Hoffman and Ugueth Urbina.
Holland has accomplished all this after nearly losing the closer’s gig a week into the season. He gave up three earned runs in a loss and blown save on April 6 and then was pulled out of a save chance the next night, leading to speculation that Kelvin Herrera might replace him in the ninth. However, he quickly turned it around from there and never looked back,
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)