Indians closer Chris Perez is a mess right now

Sep 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

chris perez getty Getty Images

I wrote yesterday afternoon about how the Indians were sticking with Chris Perez as closer despite his struggles over the past two months. And then last night I went to the Twins-Indians game at Target Field and watched as Cleveland manager Terry Francona brought Perez into a 6-1 game in the ninth inning to get him some work following a blown save earlier this week.

I turned to the person next to me and predicted “Perez is definitely going to make this very interesting.” I also tried to get them to give me 20-to-1 odds on the Twins winning the game despite being down five runs with three outs to go, but apparently not everyone will gamble on everything.

Anyway, sure enough Perez coughed up four runs on four hits, including a homer, before being yanked with one out left to get and the gap closed to 6-5. Joe Smith came in and closed out the win, but Perez saw his ERA balloon to 4.33 and he’s now allowed 17 runs in 20.1 innings since August 1. Cleveland looks headed to the playoffs, but it’s hard to imagine the Indians making a run unless Perez turns things around or Francona changes his mind about the ninth inning.

1. freddieoh - Sep 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Justin Masterson. Book it.

• theuncletodd - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Masterson himself has said ‘ the 6th inning OK, not closing’

2. jcmeyer10 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM

The Tim Lincecum Effect. Take away the stick from some guys and they just aren’t the same.

3. alexo0 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Prediction 1: Perez does not turn it around

Prediction 2: Francona does not change his mind about the 9th inning

4. cur68 - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Wait….you left the basement and WENT OUT TO A GAME???? So you DON’T suffer from the same crushing agoraphobia that I’m sure Craig, DJ, Mathew, & Bill suffer from? However did you escape that?

5. theuncletodd - Sep 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

closer by committee — worst thing to hear as a CLE fan–just give it to Joe Smith, there’s 15 guys in the pen right now.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3962)