Sep 27, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
I wrote yesterday afternoon about how the Indians were sticking with Chris Perez as closer despite his struggles over the past two months. And then last night I went to the Twins-Indians game at Target Field and watched as Cleveland manager Terry Francona brought Perez into a 6-1 game in the ninth inning to get him some work following a blown save earlier this week.
I turned to the person next to me and predicted “Perez is definitely going to make this very interesting.” I also tried to get them to give me 20-to-1 odds on the Twins winning the game despite being down five runs with three outs to go, but apparently not everyone will gamble on everything.
Anyway, sure enough Perez coughed up four runs on four hits, including a homer, before being yanked with one out left to get and the gap closed to 6-5. Joe Smith came in and closed out the win, but Perez saw his ERA balloon to 4.33 and he’s now allowed 17 runs in 20.1 innings since August 1. Cleveland looks headed to the playoffs, but it’s hard to imagine the Indians making a run unless Perez turns things around or Francona changes his mind about the ninth inning.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 11
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 63
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)