Sep 27, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Jarrod Saltalamacchia originally thought he hit his 15th homer in the third inning Friday against the Orioles. When the call was correctly overturned and ruled a double instead, he accomplished a much more interesting feat.
Saltalamacchia became just the 15th catcher (13th different) to put together a 40-double season since 1901. The other active catchers to pull it off are Victor Martinez, Joe Mauer, Brian McCann and Yadier Molina. Jorge Posada and Ivan Rodriguez both did it twice.
Never much of a doubles guy previously, Salty actually had 40 two-baggers (and 41 homers) between 2011 and 2012 combined. He averaged one double every 19.5 at-bats in the first six seasons of his career. This year, he’s at one every 10.5 at-bats. It should be noted that he’s playing in a terrific park for doubles in Fenway, but a mere 21 of those 40 doubles have come at home.
Salty will finish this season with career highs in average, runs scored and RBI as he heads into free agency for the first time. He’s upped his stock enough that the Red Sox will probably make him an approx. $14 million qualifying offer this winter, securing them a draft pick if he leaves. A three-year deal in the $30 million-$36 million range seems appropriate.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)