Sep 27, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
Jarrod Saltalamacchia originally thought he hit his 15th homer in the third inning Friday against the Orioles. When the call was correctly overturned and ruled a double instead, he accomplished a much more interesting feat.
Saltalamacchia became just the 15th catcher (13th different) to put together a 40-double season since 1901. The other active catchers to pull it off are Victor Martinez, Joe Mauer, Brian McCann and Yadier Molina. Jorge Posada and Ivan Rodriguez both did it twice.
Never much of a doubles guy previously, Salty actually had 40 two-baggers (and 41 homers) between 2011 and 2012 combined. He averaged one double every 19.5 at-bats in the first six seasons of his career. This year, he’s at one every 10.5 at-bats. It should be noted that he’s playing in a terrific park for doubles in Fenway, but a mere 21 of those 40 doubles have come at home.
Salty will finish this season with career highs in average, runs scored and RBI as he heads into free agency for the first time. He’s upped his stock enough that the Red Sox will probably make him an approx. $14 million qualifying offer this winter, securing them a draft pick if he leaves. A three-year deal in the $30 million-$36 million range seems appropriate.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)