Sep 27, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Jhonny Peralta‘s Biogenesis suspension is over. The Tigers have clinched the division. So it’s experiment time:
Jhonny Peralta will start in LF tonight. He’ll play LF part of all three games in Miami.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) September 27, 2013
And it’s a pretty smart experiment. Jose Iglesias is a great gloveman at short and there’s no sense in depriving the Tigers’ pitchers of that in the playoffs. Left field, in contrast, has been pretty darn bad for Detroit, with Andy Dirks‘ OPS+ of 86 leading the way thus far. If Peralta’s bat isn’t rusty, and if Peralta can keep from embarrassing himself in left, the Tigers will have a nice upgrade.
And even if Peralta can’t handle left, having him around as a bench bat, a pinch-hitter for Iglesias if needed and a potential replacement for Miguel Cabrera if the banged up MVP can’t go for some reason would be a nice luxury.
As for you who disapprove of the recently-suspended Peralta being activated by the Tigers:
On Peralta coming back, Leyland says, “This is the United States of America,” says he made mistake, served time, time to move on. I agree.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) September 27, 2013
Someone hand me a tissue. I can’t help but hear “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” playing over Leyland’s words and I can’t keep from getting weepy.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 4
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 95
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)