Sep 27, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Jhonny Peralta‘s Biogenesis suspension is over. The Tigers have clinched the division. So it’s experiment time:
Jhonny Peralta will start in LF tonight. He’ll play LF part of all three games in Miami.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) September 27, 2013
And it’s a pretty smart experiment. Jose Iglesias is a great gloveman at short and there’s no sense in depriving the Tigers’ pitchers of that in the playoffs. Left field, in contrast, has been pretty darn bad for Detroit, with Andy Dirks‘ OPS+ of 86 leading the way thus far. If Peralta’s bat isn’t rusty, and if Peralta can keep from embarrassing himself in left, the Tigers will have a nice upgrade.
And even if Peralta can’t handle left, having him around as a bench bat, a pinch-hitter for Iglesias if needed and a potential replacement for Miguel Cabrera if the banged up MVP can’t go for some reason would be a nice luxury.
As for you who disapprove of the recently-suspended Peralta being activated by the Tigers:
On Peralta coming back, Leyland says, “This is the United States of America,” says he made mistake, served time, time to move on. I agree.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) September 27, 2013
Someone hand me a tissue. I can’t help but hear “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” playing over Leyland’s words and I can’t keep from getting weepy.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)