Sep 27, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
Jhonny Peralta‘s Biogenesis suspension is over. The Tigers have clinched the division. So it’s experiment time:
Jhonny Peralta will start in LF tonight. He’ll play LF part of all three games in Miami.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) September 27, 2013
And it’s a pretty smart experiment. Jose Iglesias is a great gloveman at short and there’s no sense in depriving the Tigers’ pitchers of that in the playoffs. Left field, in contrast, has been pretty darn bad for Detroit, with Andy Dirks‘ OPS+ of 86 leading the way thus far. If Peralta’s bat isn’t rusty, and if Peralta can keep from embarrassing himself in left, the Tigers will have a nice upgrade.
And even if Peralta can’t handle left, having him around as a bench bat, a pinch-hitter for Iglesias if needed and a potential replacement for Miguel Cabrera if the banged up MVP can’t go for some reason would be a nice luxury.
As for you who disapprove of the recently-suspended Peralta being activated by the Tigers:
On Peralta coming back, Leyland says, “This is the United States of America,” says he made mistake, served time, time to move on. I agree.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) September 27, 2013
Someone hand me a tissue. I can’t help but hear “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” playing over Leyland’s words and I can’t keep from getting weepy.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)