Josh Hamilton: “There’s something to say about having a little extra butt on you”

Sep 27, 2013, 11:19 AM EST

Josh Hamilton Getty Getty Images

It turns out sometimes a ballplayer getting into The Best Shape Of His Life isn’t such a good thing, as Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com writes about Josh Hamilton:

Last offseason, he started a natural-juice diet–or “lifestyle change,” as he calls it–and entered at an estimated 227 pounds, roughly 20 pounds lighter than normal. For next year, he’s scrapping that. His goal is to enter at his traditional 245 pounds again.

“I’m going to try to put some weight on, but do it the right way–by doing a lot of the things I’m doing now, but adding more calories, things like that,” Hamilton said. “Because this year, I haven’t been weaker than I have–I’m just as strong in the weight room as I’ve ever been–but I think there’s something to say about having a little extra butt on you.”

“There’s something to say about having a little extra butt on you” is a pretty good motto, just for life in general. And oddly enough, on my podcast this week we spent a solid 15 minutes discussing the all-time best butts in Twins history.

Incidentally, while his overall numbers are awful and the Angels are no doubt regretting his $125 million contract in a huge way, Hamilton has hit .329 with five homers and a .916 OPS in his last 40 games.

1. asimonetti88 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hamilton has pretty much been a bum offensively this year. If growing a badonkadonk is what he needs to do to get back on track then so be it.

2. APBA Guy - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM

A big butt isn’t going to help his plate discipline. If he could eat the curve balls out of the zone he’s going to see again next year he’d weigh 1,000 pounds.

• dan1111 - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

This comment shouldn’t really work but it does.

3. larjones64 - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Kirby Puckett had the butt of all butts for the Twins

• apkyletexas - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Babe Ruth, Pete Rose and Barry Bonds. Need I say more?

4. dowhatifeellike - Sep 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s one of the axioms at the local strip club, too.

5. kingscourt25 - Sep 27, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Swinging at sliders in the right handers batters box is due to his lack of butt

6. stex52 - Sep 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Best butts in Twins history? Sounds like that podcast ran about 14:59 longer than my interest would have held up.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

That depends, if they were talking about Twins Ballgirls then your interest might have held up longer.

• stex52 - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Well, yeah. I didn’t realize that was within the context of the subject.

7. lazlosother - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

CC is calling him right now. “Josh, you’re a genius, want to come to my house for some Cap’n Crunch?”

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Can we send CC over for dinner at Josh’s house? If so, Josh can come over to CC’s house for (several boxes of) Cap’n Crunch for breakfast.

9. bcirej - Sep 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Poor Josh, always looking for a reason for failures. In 2012 the reason for his lousy four months was quitting tobacco, then there is always his light blue eyes that cause him problems with lights and daylight. Gotta admit this one is very original. Can’t wait to hear the one for next year.

10. kruegere - Sep 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM

First baseball player ever who understands how he gains and loses weight. “Just add more calories,” to gain weight, “just eat less calories,” to lose weight. Done!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4552)