Sep 27, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has fired former general manager and current president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest, who’d been with the team since 2002.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reported last week that Loria had essentially pushed Beinfest aside in order to make most of the baseball decisions himself, quoting a source who said “he has marginalized the front office.” And then Beinfest went on the local radio and uncharacteristically revealed details about his less than ideal working conditions.
Beinfest is generally well-respected throughout baseball and so getting out from under a meddling owner with a slashed payroll and talent-starved roster may actually come as a relief. He was nearly fired last year, but kept the job, hired Mike Redmond as manager, and saw the Marlins go 59-100.
He’ll no doubt get another high-ranking front office job for next season and will also get to spend his free time feeling sorry for the poor schlub who replaces him in Miami. It sounds like it’ll be longtime assistant general manager Dan Jennings, which keeps Loria from having to convince decent outside candidates to apply for a job working for him.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 5
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)