Sep 27, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has fired former general manager and current president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest, who’d been with the team since 2002.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reported last week that Loria had essentially pushed Beinfest aside in order to make most of the baseball decisions himself, quoting a source who said “he has marginalized the front office.” And then Beinfest went on the local radio and uncharacteristically revealed details about his less than ideal working conditions.
Beinfest is generally well-respected throughout baseball and so getting out from under a meddling owner with a slashed payroll and talent-starved roster may actually come as a relief. He was nearly fired last year, but kept the job, hired Mike Redmond as manager, and saw the Marlins go 59-100.
He’ll no doubt get another high-ranking front office job for next season and will also get to spend his free time feeling sorry for the poor schlub who replaces him in Miami. It sounds like it’ll be longtime assistant general manager Dan Jennings, which keeps Loria from having to convince decent outside candidates to apply for a job working for him.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 24
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 16
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)