Sep 27, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has fired former general manager and current president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest, who’d been with the team since 2002.
Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reported last week that Loria had essentially pushed Beinfest aside in order to make most of the baseball decisions himself, quoting a source who said “he has marginalized the front office.” And then Beinfest went on the local radio and uncharacteristically revealed details about his less than ideal working conditions.
Beinfest is generally well-respected throughout baseball and so getting out from under a meddling owner with a slashed payroll and talent-starved roster may actually come as a relief. He was nearly fired last year, but kept the job, hired Mike Redmond as manager, and saw the Marlins go 59-100.
He’ll no doubt get another high-ranking front office job for next season and will also get to spend his free time feeling sorry for the poor schlub who replaces him in Miami. It sounds like it’ll be longtime assistant general manager Dan Jennings, which keeps Loria from having to convince decent outside candidates to apply for a job working for him.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (124)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)