Sep 27, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
In 20 trips to the dish, Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton is hitting .389 with two walks and 13 stolen bases in 14 attempts. A small sample for sure, but he’s about as automatic to steal second base as it gets these days. In a short series where offense is at a premium, that kind of a tool could certainly come in handy.
The Reds, however, aren’t so sure, reports John Fay.
“We taking it one step at a time,” Jocketty said. “You look at the Wild Card game first. You focus on what you need to do for Tuesday because you can change it.
“We’ve got a pretty good idea what we’re going to do.”
For Tuesday’s game, only one or two of the 25 spots will go to starting pitchers.
“Obviously, it will change for NLDS,” Jocketty said.
The Reds have already wrapped up one of the two National League Wild Card slots. With a Cardinals victory or a Pirates loss, they will be matching up with the Pirates in the Wild Card play-in game. Fay says he would be stunned if the Reds don’t add Hamilton to their post-season roster, which can be changed between the play-in game and prior to the NLDS.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)