Sep 27, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
In 20 trips to the dish, Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton is hitting .389 with two walks and 13 stolen bases in 14 attempts. A small sample for sure, but he’s about as automatic to steal second base as it gets these days. In a short series where offense is at a premium, that kind of a tool could certainly come in handy.
The Reds, however, aren’t so sure, reports John Fay.
“We taking it one step at a time,” Jocketty said. “You look at the Wild Card game first. You focus on what you need to do for Tuesday because you can change it.
“We’ve got a pretty good idea what we’re going to do.”
For Tuesday’s game, only one or two of the 25 spots will go to starting pitchers.
“Obviously, it will change for NLDS,” Jocketty said.
The Reds have already wrapped up one of the two National League Wild Card slots. With a Cardinals victory or a Pirates loss, they will be matching up with the Pirates in the Wild Card play-in game. Fay says he would be stunned if the Reds don’t add Hamilton to their post-season roster, which can be changed between the play-in game and prior to the NLDS.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)