Sep 27, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
In 20 trips to the dish, Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton is hitting .389 with two walks and 13 stolen bases in 14 attempts. A small sample for sure, but he’s about as automatic to steal second base as it gets these days. In a short series where offense is at a premium, that kind of a tool could certainly come in handy.
The Reds, however, aren’t so sure, reports John Fay.
“We taking it one step at a time,” Jocketty said. “You look at the Wild Card game first. You focus on what you need to do for Tuesday because you can change it.
“We’ve got a pretty good idea what we’re going to do.”
For Tuesday’s game, only one or two of the 25 spots will go to starting pitchers.
“Obviously, it will change for NLDS,” Jocketty said.
The Reds have already wrapped up one of the two National League Wild Card slots. With a Cardinals victory or a Pirates loss, they will be matching up with the Pirates in the Wild Card play-in game. Fay says he would be stunned if the Reds don’t add Hamilton to their post-season roster, which can be changed between the play-in game and prior to the NLDS.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)