Sep 27, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Indians closer Chris Perez has allowed a total of six runs in his last two appearances and has a 7.52 ERA since the start of August. As a result, manager Terry Francona has removed him from the closer’s role, reports WTAM’s Nick Camino.
On the season, Perez has a career-worst 4.33 ERA in 54 innings, converting 25 of 30 save opportunities.
ESPN’s Buster Olney speculates that Joe Smith or Justin Masterson could be used as the team’s closer going forward. Winners of seven in a row and 12 of their last 14, the Indians are clutching onto a one-game lead over the Rangers for the second AL Wild Card with three games remaining. They trail the Rays for the first Wild Card spot by one game.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)