Sep 27, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Yankees announcer Michael Kay was on the Dan Patrick Show today and they raised an interesting question: Whose career would you rather have: Derek Jeter‘s or Mariano Rivera‘s? Secondly: would either make it to the Yankees’ Mt. Rushmore as one of the team’s top four players ever?
Personally, I’d rather have Jeter’s simply because I’d rather be an everyday player. Plus Rivera is happily married which is wonderful for him. But if I’m making wishes about crazy things like being a ballplayer, I’m gonna wish for other stuff I can’t have too, such as any of the women Derek Jeter has been with.
As for Rushmore: I think Jeter should be there, not because he’s necessarily among the four “best” Yankees players, but because he represents and era and I feel like those Rushmore conversations should encompass that. Give me Babe, DiMaggio, Mantle and Jeter.
Check it out:
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)