Sep 27, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Yankees announcer Michael Kay was on the Dan Patrick Show today and they raised an interesting question: Whose career would you rather have: Derek Jeter‘s or Mariano Rivera‘s? Secondly: would either make it to the Yankees’ Mt. Rushmore as one of the team’s top four players ever?
Personally, I’d rather have Jeter’s simply because I’d rather be an everyday player. Plus Rivera is happily married which is wonderful for him. But if I’m making wishes about crazy things like being a ballplayer, I’m gonna wish for other stuff I can’t have too, such as any of the women Derek Jeter has been with.
As for Rushmore: I think Jeter should be there, not because he’s necessarily among the four “best” Yankees players, but because he represents and era and I feel like those Rushmore conversations should encompass that. Give me Babe, DiMaggio, Mantle and Jeter.
Check it out:
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 2
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 34
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)