Andy Pettitte pitches the Yankees past the Astros in his final start

Sep 28, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT

Andy Pettitte Getty Getty Images

Yankees starter Andy Pettitte shut down the Astros tonight in his final start of his career. The left-hander allowed one run on five hits and two walks while striking out five in a complete game effort. The lone Astros run came on a Chris Carter ground out in the fourth inning.

Second baseman Robinson Cano helped the Yankees tie the game in the sixth with an RBI single. The go-ahead run would eventually score on a wild pitch when catcher Matt Pagnozzi had a snafu behind the plate. Pagnozzi attempted to pick off Cano at second base, but spiked his throw into the ground and the ball bounced behind home plate, allowing Eduardo Nunez to score.

Pettitte will finish his career with a 256-153 record, a 3.85 ERA, and 26 complete games in 3,316 innings over 18 seasons.

1. flamethrower101 - Sep 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Not to mention he finishes with exactly ZERO losing seasons. I know W-L’s are no longer a good way to determine how good a pitcher is, but that is still pretty impressive, especially since he’s the only guy to ever do that.

2. johnnysoda - Sep 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Look, son, a legend.

• butchhuskey - Sep 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I wouldn’t deem him a legend, if only because his career lacked dominance. But he was reliable, durable, consistent, and very very good for two decades.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 29, 2013 at 3:52 AM

A legend? Jesus that bars been lowered. I’m not one to play this card often but if a guy who didn’t wear pinstripes retired with a career ERA nearing 4 I find it hard to believe we’d be calling him a legend.

3. chip56 - Sep 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM

He’s not a Hall of Famer, but at his best there’s no one I wanted out there starting a big game more than Andrew Eugene Pettitte.

• olk777 - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Cue the mention of ’99 Pedro.

4. bigdaddy44 - Sep 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM

The way for Andy to become a legend is for him to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth when testifying in the next lawsuit. Unfortunately, there is about a snowball’s chance in hell of that happening.

• namriverrat69 - Sep 29, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I agree. He admitted to using HGH with his buddy Jeffrey Dahmer Ooops, I mean Roger Clements, Clements at the time said that Pettit must have “misremembered” things. When it came to trial it appears that Pettit did misremember the things Dahmer, I mean Clements had done.

Honesty like Pettit’s doesn’t grow on trees. It takes years of grooming and planning what excuse to say. I enjoyed Pettit’s pitching career but his personal character should in no way allow him even close to Cooperstown. Just like it should allow any cheaters in. I am sure they will anyway but they should show some backbone which they don’t have and keep them out – including Pettit. Once I found out Jeffrey Clements was a bold faced liar and cheater I lost all respect for him and as basball has tapdanced around this issue for so many years I just quick watching basebalkl altogether. No loss to me. You can respond and dis me all you want. It means nothing to me. I can’t get after a sport what cheating is so relevant. I am not stupid enough to believe other sports are PED free. It has not been reported to such a degree as baseball, unless you ride a bicycle of course or are the world record holding twerking champion.

I found it amusing all the hoopla back in my day involving Roger Maris breaking the Babe’s homerun record with an asterick placed after his name. At the very minimum something similar should be placed next to these cheaters showing they used PED’s, proven cheaters and liars in the cheating era when it was PEDs like HGH were banned. More power to these losers in life. They may have money and toys but lack real respect from the public who know of their years of dishonesty anc cheating, Most especially that liar in cheat before Congress – the highly esteemed cheater Raphael Palmero. A pox on his house as was declared in Romeo and Juliet.

I do believe they should allow Pete Rose into the Hall as a player, even though it has been said he bet on his teams as a manager. I recall him saying once that he never bet on the Reds when he was a player. Do you believe a cheater and liar? No. I do think under the circumstances he should be allowed into Cooperstown as a player.with the dreaded asterick next to his name. That would clear that up. As great as he was as a natural player, I look to seeing him get into the Hall someday before he dies. We all know Pete has some serious personality issues. We also know what a tremendously gifted and great baseball player he was for so many years who got every ounce of effort from his body on every play every day.

I am just a simple 64 year old 2 1/2 year Vietnam Vet and NHL fan now who grew up loving major league sports including baseball, listening to ole’ Dizzy Dean and Mel Allen call the Yankee game of the week back in the 50s and 60s, but lost interest with all the cheating. My opinion means nothing to anyone but I needed to say what was on my mind in the midst of the other posts. I wish you all good health and safety in this ever changing world of muslim terrorism..

• thevauntedchris - Sep 29, 2013 at 2:29 AM

this is amazing. I’ve read this 9 times.

• dinkydow - Sep 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

HGH does not improve performance. It helps you heal from an injury faster. So Pettit’s “cheating” was he wanted to get back on the field sooner to help his teammates win. Plus, he did it when it wasn’t banned in BB.

• anxovies - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

As dinky points out, HGH is not a performance enhancing drug. It is a prescription drug that stimulates growth in children and in adults with hormone deficiencies. It is also known to promote healing, which is why athletes take it. The problem as seen by MLB is that it is typically injected by players in higher doses than recommended. Some studies indicate that there is a danger of injection-site reaction, and there is some indication that it may promote or cause Hodgkin’s Disease in very rare cases. To say that taking HGH should be banned because it enhances performance is like saying that Tommy John surgery should be banned because it allows injured pitchers to return to the mound or banning ibuprofen because it relieves sore muscles and allows a player to perform better. The hormone itself does nothing to build muscle or increase reaction times.
        At some point, hopefully, when sports executives and fans stop foaming at the mouth and vilifying players associated with HGH use, the sports industry may take a closer look at HGH to see if the benefits outweigh the potential risks. Until then baseball fans should become more aware of the differences between PEDS, which give a player an unfair advantage against current players and the records compiled by past players, and HGH, which is used only to treat injuries and promote faster healing.

• raysfan1 - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I know you were just trying to be cute, but equating someone who broke a baseball rule to someone raped, murdered and ate children?! Fail.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Clemens not Clements.

5. munsonsgravity - Sep 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

HGH Andy rides into the sunset. Hasta la vista cheater.

6. Senor Cardgage - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:12 AM

The go-ahead run would eventually score on a wild pitch…. Pagnozzi attempted to pick off Cano at second base, but spiked his throw into the ground….

I’m pretty sure throwing errors by the catcher don’t count as wild pitches.

7. 27xwschamps - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Thanks # 46 !!! …a NYY forever ….

8. mgottlieb - Sep 29, 2013 at 1:13 AM

As a Red Sox fan, I feared him every time he took the mound against us. He pitched effectively for a long long time and should certainly be in the conversation for Cooperstown.

9. flamethrower883 - Sep 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I wonder what A-Rod is thinking as he sees Pettite getting a warm and loving send off after admitting he took drugs, stopped taking drugs and actually played baseball. What am I saying, I know exactly what he’s thinking, “This needle goes where?”

And a Yankee fan this week is bitter sweet. The Yankees are playing meaningless games but saying goodbye to two Yankee legends makes it hurt a little less. Pettite and Rivera will be truly missed.

10. kelshannon19 - Sep 29, 2013 at 2:26 AM

The three years Andy spent in Houston were some of the best times in Houston sports history. Most people say thanks 46, I say thank you 21!

11. 6stn - Sep 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM

26 complete games and 256 wins: No wonder he’s retiring at the same time as Rivera.

• dinkydow - Sep 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM

He’s no fool. I forget the number but I know the Rivera/Pettit save/win combination is the highest in MLB history.

12. proudlycanadian - Sep 29, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Congratulations to Pettitte for going out on a high note.

As far as Houston is concerned. I loved the hustle shown by Altuve on the run he scored. It was the product of hustle and a bit of larceny as he scored from second on a ground out to the shortstop.

13. georgewashingtonsghost - Sep 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM

I wonder how many other pitchers have thrown a complete game in their final appearance. It probably happened all the time before bullpens rose to prominence, but not so much anymore.

14. theskinsman - Sep 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Not even a gold plated syringe as a going away gift?

15. keltictim - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The “faster healing” you speak of is in no way just to come back from injuries faster , get a clue. When you work out attempting to gain muscle, you actually tear the muscle as it heals it heals bigger and stronger that how you get bigger lifting weights the hgh allows your muscles to heal faster which allows you to get bigger quicker. So you can believe that the only purpose for using hgh is to come back from injury faster but you would be wrong.

16. janessa31888 - Sep 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Reading some of these posts, you’d think Andy was history’s second greatest monster. I would gladly have had him on my team. What a way to go out! #respect.

• tigertigerwoodsyall - Sep 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Agreed…but hash tags are gay

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3220)