Sep 28, 2013, 9:38 PM EDT
In what was otherwise a meaningless tuneup for the Tigers, Anibal Sanchez entered Saturday’s start against the Marlins with the slightest of all leads for the AL ERA crown: 2.64 to Bartolo Colon‘s 2.65 mark. The margin is a little wider now: Sanchez threw five scoreless innings and struck out eight in a brisk 66-pitch start, lowering his ERA to 2.57.
Since neither Colon nor Hisashi Iwakuma, who is at 2.66, will pitch again, Sanchez’s ERA crown is assured. He also topped 200 strikeouts on the night to finish with 202 in 182 innings for the season. Unfortunately, the Tigers blew the one-run lead they had when Sanchez exited tonight, denying him his 15th win to go along with eight losses.
That’s still quite a year for a guy who entered with a lifetime 48-51 record and a 3.75 ERA in seven seasons, 6 1/2 of them with the Marlins. After being acquired from Miami at the 2012 trade deadline, he re-signed with the Tigers for $80 million over five years last winter, spurning the Cubs in the process.
Even with the ERA title, Sanchez may not start until the third game of the postseason for the Tigers. Still, the team should be feeling pretty good about him, particularly after he posted a 1.77 ERA in three October starts last year.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)