Sep 28, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
In what was otherwise a meaningless tuneup for the Tigers, Anibal Sanchez entered Saturday’s start against the Marlins with the slightest of all leads for the AL ERA crown: 2.64 to Bartolo Colon‘s 2.65 mark. The margin is a little wider now: Sanchez threw five scoreless innings and struck out eight in a brisk 66-pitch start, lowering his ERA to 2.57.
Since neither Colon nor Hisashi Iwakuma, who is at 2.66, will pitch again, Sanchez’s ERA crown is assured. He also topped 200 strikeouts on the night to finish with 202 in 182 innings for the season. Unfortunately, the Tigers blew the one-run lead they had when Sanchez exited tonight, denying him his 15th win to go along with eight losses.
That’s still quite a year for a guy who entered with a lifetime 48-51 record and a 3.75 ERA in seven seasons, 6 1/2 of them with the Marlins. After being acquired from Miami at the 2012 trade deadline, he re-signed with the Tigers for $80 million over five years last winter, spurning the Cubs in the process.
Even with the ERA title, Sanchez may not start until the third game of the postseason for the Tigers. Still, the team should be feeling pretty good about him, particularly after he posted a 1.77 ERA in three October starts last year.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 77
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 41
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)