Sep 28, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Despite a valiant effort at a comeback this afternoon, the Athletics lost to the Mariners 7-5. The loss drops them to 95-66 and, with one game remaining, locks up home field advantage throughout the playoffs for the 97-63 Red Sox. The Sox will play the winner of the one-game AL Wild Card playoff, be it the Indians, Rays, or Rangers.
Mariners shortstop Brad Miller provided most of the offense, hitting a solo home run in the third inning and a grand slam in the fifth off of A’s starter Jarrod Parker. Trailing 7-2 in the seventh, the Athletics scored three runs on a two-run home run from Brandon Moss and a solo shot from Albert Callaspo, both against Mariners reliever Chance Ruffin. But the rally stopped there and the Mariners held on.
Had the Athletics been able to win today, the Red Sox would have been relying on Jon Lester to pitch them past the Orioles tonight to that clinch home-field advantage.
The Tigers and Athletics will match up in the ALDS, which starts on Friday.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:49 AM EST
Paulino was once a young power with lots of upside, but injuries have repeatedly derailed his career.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:20 AM EST
LaHair looks destined to go down as one of the least successful All-Stars of all time.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
He’s entering the final year of his contract.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
Must-click material from Jorge Arangure of Vice Sports
Jan 30, 2015, 8:43 AM EST
Even second tier relievers are in demand in the offseason.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:23 AM EST
I’ve heard of teams insulting players after they left, but never at their introductory press conference.
Jan 29, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
High-spending teams like the Yankees and Red Sox are among the favorites to sign Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada, but the Rays are also interested even if it’s fair to call them a long shot.
Jan 29, 2015, 9:21 PM EST
Beachy is currently 10 months removed from the second Tommy John surgery of his career.
Jan 29, 2015, 8:02 PM EST
Cotts compiled a 2.84 ERA in 131 appearances with the Rangers over the past two seasons.
Jan 29, 2015, 7:04 PM EST
Billingsley hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing Tommy John surgery in April of 2013.
Jan 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Add another name to the list of fifth starter candidates for the Braves.
Jan 29, 2015, 5:42 PM EST
Nava requested $2.25 million and the Red Sox countered at $1.3 million.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
I guess it’s better than snakes. Or wasps.
Jan 29, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Santiago spent last season with the Reds, hitting .246 with a .667 OPS in 75 games.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
Belisario was awful for the White Sox last season, allowing 46 runs in 66 innings.
Jan 29, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
This is funny. But also insightful.
Jan 29, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Does this man look like he’d be a friend of a guy like Pete Carroll? Welp, he is.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EST
He’ll work with union chief Tony Clark.
Jan 29, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
We can, from now and forever, refer to Werth as the “The Nationals’ ex-con right fielder.”
Jan 29, 2015, 11:30 AM EST
Brad Pitt was too young to portray him, though. Maybe Kevin Kline could’ve?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)