Sep 28, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Despite a valiant effort at a comeback this afternoon, the Athletics lost to the Mariners 7-5. The loss drops them to 95-66 and, with one game remaining, locks up home field advantage throughout the playoffs for the 97-63 Red Sox. The Sox will play the winner of the one-game AL Wild Card playoff, be it the Indians, Rays, or Rangers.
Mariners shortstop Brad Miller provided most of the offense, hitting a solo home run in the third inning and a grand slam in the fifth off of A’s starter Jarrod Parker. Trailing 7-2 in the seventh, the Athletics scored three runs on a two-run home run from Brandon Moss and a solo shot from Albert Callaspo, both against Mariners reliever Chance Ruffin. But the rally stopped there and the Mariners held on.
Had the Athletics been able to win today, the Red Sox would have been relying on Jon Lester to pitch them past the Orioles tonight to that clinch home-field advantage.
The Tigers and Athletics will match up in the ALDS, which starts on Friday.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
Downs signed a minor-league deal in mid-December.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
The Cubs are playing ersatz baseball, you see. And this is the, um, apogee of something.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
That Nationals don’t need another injury. But they may have one.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:50 PM EDT
In exchange for Matt den Dekker.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
Rodon ranked as a consensus top-20 prospect and has top-of-the-rotation upside, so expect to see him in Chicago by the All-Star break.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
He just signed on March 9, but after three awful appearances, the M’s have cut bait.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
Carlos Martinez time in the Cardinals’ rotation?
Mar 30, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
He posted a 3.33 ERA in 70 appearances for the Padres in a limited role, logging a total of just 54 innings with a 51/33 K/BB ratio.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Service time manipulation, the depth chart and hacktastic tendencies mean that the future is not quite here for three of the Cubs’ top prospects.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Maholm has indicated that he wants to continue starting, which likely sealed his fate in Cincinnati and limits his options going forward.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Baseball technically has a rule against “fraternization.” It’s a dumb rule.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
New regime, different results?
Mar 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Mar 30, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Daily Fantasy Sports is not, legally speaking, gambling. But it is somewhat surprising to see Major League Baseball taking a stake in it.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
He’s owed $5.3 million for 2015 and is also under team control for 2016 via arbitration.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Looks like the end of the line for the 38-year-old.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
A-Rod’s worst offense yet: not giving the press anything to be offended about.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Perez was a back-to-back All-Star in 2011 and 2012.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
What, if anything, will Tony Clark and the MLBPA do about it?
Mar 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Leon looks to have the inside track on the Sox’ backup catching gig.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)