Sep 28, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
With the Cardinals clinching the National League Central last night, the Pirates and Reds will officially play in the Wild Card game on Tuesday. And now we know who will be starting for Pittsburgh.
According to Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle confirmed today that Francisco Liriano will get the ball in the play-in game. This would set A.J. Burnett up to start Game 1 of a possible NLDS matchup. Hurdle is leaning toward using four starters in the series should the Pirates make it that far.
Liriano is the natural choice for the play-in game following a resurgent season. While a broken arm resulted in the Pirates adjusting his contract and a late start to the season, the 29-year-old left-hander has posted a surprising 3.02 ERA and 163/63 K/BB ratio over 161 innings.
While we know the matchup, there’s still the matter of who will be hosting the Wild Card game. The Pirates can clinch it with a win over the Reds today or tomorrow. Meanwhile, the Reds will make a decision on their Tuesday starter depending on how things play out. Johnny Cueto or Mat Latos are the favorites.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 336
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)