Sep 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Yankees manager Joe Girardi indicated earlier this week that Mariano Rivera could finally get his wish and play some center field this weekend in Houston, but it sounds like it’s not going to happen. In fact, it’s increasingly likely that Thursday’s epic send-off at Yankee Stadium was his final appearance in an MLB game.
It would be a little odd if our final memory of Rivera was him climbing Tal’s Hill in center field at Minute Maid Ballpark, so this makes sense. It’s impossible to top what we saw on Thursday.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)