It sounds like we have seen the last of Mariano Rivera

Sep 28, 2013, 5:00 PM EST

Yankees manager Joe Girardi indicated earlier this week that Mariano Rivera could finally get his wish and play some center field this weekend in Houston, but it sounds like it’s not going to happen. In fact, it’s increasingly likely that Thursday’s epic send-off at Yankee Stadium was his final appearance in an MLB game.

It would be a little odd if our final memory of Rivera was him climbing Tal’s Hill in center field at Minute Maid Ballpark, so this makes sense. It’s impossible to top what we saw on Thursday.

1. greej1938l - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Thanks

2. johnnysoda - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM

As long as it’s Mo’s call, I’m OK with that.

3. munsonsgravity - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Enough with this Diva already. Who cares if he plays CF for an inning – just a vanity project.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

It wouldn’t shock me if Mo could be the main singer for an opera. That’s what you meant, of course…

• aceshigh11 - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I assume your name is in reference to Thurmon Munson?

You’re a fuckin’ asshole.

• munsonsgravity - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

And you are a fuckin’ loser of the highest order – have a nice life, idiot.

See how easy that is.

• Old Gator - Sep 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I think everyone on here accepts your expertise in the field of idiocy.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM

What did I do that was idiotic?

I simply called a guy out for being a callous jerk. I don’t start fights here unless someone throws the first punch…

…okay, politics will get me riled up, but otherwise…

• rednats7 - Sep 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

troll

4. cocheese000 - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Wouldn’t want to see the lasting memory of Rivera of him getting hurt in the outfield.

5. cocheese000 - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

The ray Lewis retirement send off was 1000 times better

• 18thstreet - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The one where we all pretend he didn’t kill a guy? That was great.

• drewzducks - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

He killed someone during the send off too? No surprise.

• yahmule - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I’ve sent off better things than Ray Lewis down my crapper.

6. cocheese000 - Sep 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

False. And Lewis was acquitted of murder. Get your facts straight then talk to me.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

So was OJ

• yahmule - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, why don’t you do that. Ray the rat dropped the dime on his buddies to get a reduced charge. Punk.

“In the end, only one person received a conviction in the case — Lewis, who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor obstruction of justice. The other two — Oakley and Sweeting — were acquitted at trial. Oakley lives in Atlanta, Sweeting in Miami.”

• jeff10461 - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Idiot- Acquittal does not equal innocent. Just means the prosecutor and/or police screwed up! Get your facts straight.

7. hehateme1 - Sep 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Next story please…

8. broncostevenp - Sep 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

If Rivera wants to play catcher you let him. Are you kidding me with this crap? I’m not even a yanks fan and this is bs. If you were I’m a pennant race I could understand, but they aren’t playing for anything.

9. beefytrout - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM

way to ruin the article, idiots.

10. jimeejohnson - Sep 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ray Lewis and Mariano Rivera have nothing in common. You guys are pathetic.

11. Jeremiah Graves - Sep 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We’re losing the greatest closer of all-time. Literally, ALL FUCKING TIME this weekend. Let’s just focus on that for a second. This is the Babe Ruth of the 9th inning leaving the game. I’ve been lucky enough to grow up watching the careers of Gretzky, Lemieux, Favre, Montana, Elway, Young, Marino, Aikman, Jordan, Bonds, Clemens, Henderson, Johnson, Jeter, Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Lew Ford, and a slew of others who were legitimately the greatest to ever play their game and losing Mariano is going to suck. Period.

12. munsonsgravity - Sep 29, 2013 at 1:23 AM

No worries OldGator – I also accept things – like when your wife says “Moo”.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4870)
  2. M. Kemp (3449)
  3. J. Upton (2531)
  4. J. Kang (2503)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2483)
  1. C. McGehee (2460)