Sep 28, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Orioles closer Jim Johnson is on track to receive another hefty raise in arbitration this winter, but he’s not going anywhere. Orioles executive vice president Jim Duquette told Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com yesterday that the team fully intends to tender him a contract for 2014.
“Jim Johnson is one of our core players,” said Duquette, who has emphasized keeping that core intact for the organization to sustain success. “Jimmy has done something historic in terms of the numbers of games he’s saved over the last couple years, so he’s established significant value. He came into the job last year, I think he had nine saves in his career, and over the last two years, he has over 100, 99.”
Johnson has struggled at various points this season, resulting in a major-league leading nine blown saves, but he has a 2.90 ERA over 72 appearances and leads the American League with 48 saves. The 30-year-old has 99 saves over the past two seasons, which is more than anyone.
Johnson earned $6.5 million this season and his salary could jump to the $9 million range via the arbitration process this winter. He will be a free agent after the 2014 season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (127)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)