Sep 28, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick the second of his two-year, $7.5 million extension signed in February 2012. He’ll be eligible for his fourth and final year of arbitration.
Coming off of a disappointing season — he has a 4.70 ERA in 182 innings — there was some speculation that he would be non-tendered, but GM Ruben Amaro says the right-hander will be back with the team in 2014, reports CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury:
The team will offer pitcher Kyle Kendrick a contract for 2014.
“Yes,” general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said when asked the question Saturday evening. “I don’t know why people are asking about that. We will.”
“I guess I don’t think that way,” Amaro said. “I try not to think in absolutes with him. If we think he’s going to be a viable possibility for us, we’d like to try to bring him back. I’d like to think it’s not the last we’ll see of Doc.”
The Phillies, of course, will have Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee at the top of the rotation, will audition Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, and still have to decide whether or not they will tender John Lannan a contract, so they certainly have starting pitching depth.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)