Sep 28, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick the second of his two-year, $7.5 million extension signed in February 2012. He’ll be eligible for his fourth and final year of arbitration.
Coming off of a disappointing season — he has a 4.70 ERA in 182 innings — there was some speculation that he would be non-tendered, but GM Ruben Amaro says the right-hander will be back with the team in 2014, reports CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury:
The team will offer pitcher Kyle Kendrick a contract for 2014.
“Yes,” general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said when asked the question Saturday evening. “I don’t know why people are asking about that. We will.”
“I guess I don’t think that way,” Amaro said. “I try not to think in absolutes with him. If we think he’s going to be a viable possibility for us, we’d like to try to bring him back. I’d like to think it’s not the last we’ll see of Doc.”
The Phillies, of course, will have Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee at the top of the rotation, will audition Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, and still have to decide whether or not they will tender John Lannan a contract, so they certainly have starting pitching depth.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)