Sep 28, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick the second of his two-year, $7.5 million extension signed in February 2012. He’ll be eligible for his fourth and final year of arbitration.
Coming off of a disappointing season — he has a 4.70 ERA in 182 innings — there was some speculation that he would be non-tendered, but GM Ruben Amaro says the right-hander will be back with the team in 2014, reports CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury:
The team will offer pitcher Kyle Kendrick a contract for 2014.
“Yes,” general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said when asked the question Saturday evening. “I don’t know why people are asking about that. We will.”
“I guess I don’t think that way,” Amaro said. “I try not to think in absolutes with him. If we think he’s going to be a viable possibility for us, we’d like to try to bring him back. I’d like to think it’s not the last we’ll see of Doc.”
The Phillies, of course, will have Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee at the top of the rotation, will audition Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, and still have to decide whether or not they will tender John Lannan a contract, so they certainly have starting pitching depth.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)