Sep 28, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick the second of his two-year, $7.5 million extension signed in February 2012. He’ll be eligible for his fourth and final year of arbitration.
Coming off of a disappointing season — he has a 4.70 ERA in 182 innings — there was some speculation that he would be non-tendered, but GM Ruben Amaro says the right-hander will be back with the team in 2014, reports CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury:
The team will offer pitcher Kyle Kendrick a contract for 2014.
“Yes,” general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said when asked the question Saturday evening. “I don’t know why people are asking about that. We will.”
“I guess I don’t think that way,” Amaro said. “I try not to think in absolutes with him. If we think he’s going to be a viable possibility for us, we’d like to try to bring him back. I’d like to think it’s not the last we’ll see of Doc.”
The Phillies, of course, will have Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee at the top of the rotation, will audition Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, and still have to decide whether or not they will tender John Lannan a contract, so they certainly have starting pitching depth.
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 0
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 4
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)