Sep 28, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Mat Latos has been considered the likely favorite to start the Wild Card play-in game against the Pirates at PNC Park on Tuesday, but Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer after today’s game that Johnny Cueto will get the call.
Latos probably would have been the choice if he was 100 percent, but Baker said that his arm is “barking” right now. The good news is that Cueto has been solid since returning from his lat strain, allowing two runs (one earned) over 12 innings while striking out 10 batters and walking four.
Cueto will be opposed by Francisco Liriano, who has a 1.47 ERA in 11 starts at home this season.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)