Sep 28, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Mat Latos has been considered the likely favorite to start the Wild Card play-in game against the Pirates at PNC Park on Tuesday, but Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer after today’s game that Johnny Cueto will get the call.
Latos probably would have been the choice if he was 100 percent, but Baker said that his arm is “barking” right now. The good news is that Cueto has been solid since returning from his lat strain, allowing two runs (one earned) over 12 innings while striking out 10 batters and walking four.
Cueto will be opposed by Francisco Liriano, who has a 1.47 ERA in 11 starts at home this season.
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 14
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)