Sep 28, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Here’s a concerning development for the Athletics with the start of the postseason just days away.
According to Joe Stliglich of CSNBayArea.com, Yoenis Cespedes was forced to leave last night’s win over the Mariners in the fourth inning after aggravating his right shoulder. The 27-year-old has been limited to DH duties for the past two weeks, but the A’s were hoping to test him in left field throughout the weekend. That’s unlikely to happen now.
Athletics manager Bob Melvin said after the game that there’s a “good chance” Cespedes will sit out tonight’s game at the very least, but he’s still hoping to have him available for the postseason. However, since he aggravated his shoulder swinging the bat, it’s fair to wonder whether he’d even be able to hold up as a DH.
“I know we’ve got a little time before the postseason,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said. “Hopefully we can get him healthy.”
Cespedes, 27, is batting .240/.294/.442 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI over 135 games this season. He has 49 homers over his first 264 games in the majors.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)