Sep 28, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Here’s a concerning development for the Athletics with the start of the postseason just days away.
According to Joe Stliglich of CSNBayArea.com, Yoenis Cespedes was forced to leave last night’s win over the Mariners in the fourth inning after aggravating his right shoulder. The 27-year-old has been limited to DH duties for the past two weeks, but the A’s were hoping to test him in left field throughout the weekend. That’s unlikely to happen now.
Athletics manager Bob Melvin said after the game that there’s a “good chance” Cespedes will sit out tonight’s game at the very least, but he’s still hoping to have him available for the postseason. However, since he aggravated his shoulder swinging the bat, it’s fair to wonder whether he’d even be able to hold up as a DH.
“I know we’ve got a little time before the postseason,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said. “Hopefully we can get him healthy.”
Cespedes, 27, is batting .240/.294/.442 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI over 135 games this season. He has 49 homers over his first 264 games in the majors.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)