Sep 28, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Here’s a concerning development for the Athletics with the start of the postseason just days away.
According to Joe Stliglich of CSNBayArea.com, Yoenis Cespedes was forced to leave last night’s win over the Mariners in the fourth inning after aggravating his right shoulder. The 27-year-old has been limited to DH duties for the past two weeks, but the A’s were hoping to test him in left field throughout the weekend. That’s unlikely to happen now.
Athletics manager Bob Melvin said after the game that there’s a “good chance” Cespedes will sit out tonight’s game at the very least, but he’s still hoping to have him available for the postseason. However, since he aggravated his shoulder swinging the bat, it’s fair to wonder whether he’d even be able to hold up as a DH.
“I know we’ve got a little time before the postseason,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said. “Hopefully we can get him healthy.”
Cespedes, 27, is batting .240/.294/.442 with 26 home runs and 80 RBI over 135 games this season. He has 49 homers over his first 264 games in the majors.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)