Sep 29, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Wrapping up a 7-6 win over the Red Sox, Orioles closer Jim Johnson recorded his 50th save of the season, joining Craig Kimbrel as the only relievers to reach the 50-save echelon this season. For Johnson, it is the second consecutive year in which he has recorded at least 50 saves — he recorded 51 last year in helping his team into the ALDS, where they lost in five games to the Yankees.
Johnson joins Eric Gagne and Mariano Rivera as the only relievers to have a pair of 50-save campaigns. No one has more. Only eight other relievers even have a one. Like Gagne, Johnson got his 50-save seasons consecutively.
Johnson had an up-and-down year. At times, he looked like the dominant closer that breathed new life into an Orioles team last year. At other times, like the two-week stretch in May in which he posted a 21.60 ERA in six appearances, he appeared to be throwing beach balls from 60 feet, six inches. But all’s well that ends well, as he ends the season with a sub-3.00 ERA, having converted 11 consecutive save opportunities.
Unlike last year, however, the rest of the bullpen was noticeably worse — about a half run per nine innings worse, in fact. Thus, the Orioles’ sterling 29-9 record in one-run games last year dropped to 19-31 this year. Thus, the 85-77 third-place Orioles will be watching the post-season from home.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)