Sep 29, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
From beat reporter Sean McAdam of CSN New England comes word that Red Sox righty John Lackey has been scratched from his scheduled start in Sunday’s regular season finale against the Orioles for the purpose of rest. Boston has already secured the American League East title and the top spot in the American League playoff seeding, so there’s nothing left to gain on Sunday at Camden Yards.
Allen Webster is going to start in Lackey’s place.
Lackey, 34, will finish the 2013 regular season with a cool 3.52 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 161/40 K/BB ratio in 189 1/3 innings. The Red Sox will open their five-game ALDS this Friday at Fenway Park against the winner of the American League Wild Card Game.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)