Sep 29, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
From beat reporter Sean McAdam of CSN New England comes word that Red Sox righty John Lackey has been scratched from his scheduled start in Sunday’s regular season finale against the Orioles for the purpose of rest. Boston has already secured the American League East title and the top spot in the American League playoff seeding, so there’s nothing left to gain on Sunday at Camden Yards.
Allen Webster is going to start in Lackey’s place.
Lackey, 34, will finish the 2013 regular season with a cool 3.52 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 161/40 K/BB ratio in 189 1/3 innings. The Red Sox will open their five-game ALDS this Friday at Fenway Park against the winner of the American League Wild Card Game.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)