Sep 29, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
From Joe Frisaro, the Marlins beat writer for MLB.com:
The Marlins on Sunday announced a new structure for their front office, naming Michael Hill president of baseball operations and Dan Jennings general manager.
Jennings has been with the club for 12 seasons, as the organization’s vice president of player development and assistant GM.
“I have tremendous respect for his baseball mind and know he’ll make a great addition to Michael’s team,” owner Jeffrey Loria said in a statement.
Larry Beinfest was fired from his post as president of baseball ops Friday after over 10 years of service. David Samson, the Marlins’ current club president who also happens to be Loria’s son-in-law, appears safe for now.
This was the most humorous thing to come out of Sunday’s press conference at Marlins Park:
Dan Jennings: “(Jeffrey Loria) has done a tremendous job” and should be involved in personnel decisions. #Marlins
— clarkspencer (@clarkspencer) September 29, 2013
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 51
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)