Sep 29, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
The Pirates (93-68) cannot move up or down from their current position as the host of the National League Wild Card Game, so Sunday afternoon’s regular season finale at the Reds’ Great American Ball Park is essentially meaningless and most of Pittsburgh’s regulars are getting the day off.
But not all of them will be on the massage tables.
Pirates manager Clint Hurdle told Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Sunday morning that Pedro Alvarez is starting at third base and batting cleanup so that he can have a shot at the National League home run title. Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt is currently tied with Alvarez at 36 homers and Reds right fielder Jay Bruce is the next-closest to those two with 30.
The rest of the Bucs’ starting lineup for Game 162, courtesy of MLB.com’s Tom Singer:
#Pirates, in a “meaningless” game, the good way: Pie 8, Tabata 7 Snider 9 Alvarez 5 Buck 2 Jones 3 Mercer 6 Harrison 4 Cumpton 1
— Tom Singer (@Tom_Singer) September 29, 2013
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)