Sep 29, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
The Indians and Scott Kazmir have expressed mutual interest in continuing their relationship, reports Chris Assenheimer of the Chronicle-Telegram. Kazmir has been a boon to the Indians’ pitching staff, finishing the season with a 4.04 ERA in 158 innings spanning 29 starts. The lefty averaged about a strikeout per inning pitched and a strikeout-to-walk ratio of nearly 3.5 to one.
It is especially impressive that Kazmir was on his way out of baseball, spending the 2012 season with the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent league. In 64 innings with the Skeeters, he posted a 5.34 ERA with mediocre strikeout and walk rates.
Kazmir will turn 30 years old in January, which is a bit shocking considering everything he has experienced in his career already. As a top prospect in the Mets’ system, Kazmir was involved in one of the more controversial trades of the 2000’s, going to the Rays in the Victor Zambrano trade. With the Rays, Kazmir had immense success, helping them reach the World Series in 2008, where they lost to the Phillies. From 2005-08, he had a 3.51 ERA. In August 2009, the Rays sent him to the Angels, capitalizing on the lefty’s value before he hit free agency. Kazmir wasn’t the same. From 2009-11, he posted a 5.51 ERA. The Indians are hoping the worst is behind Kazmir and he can provide them a few years of reliable service in the latest chapter of his career.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)