Sep 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The Yankees brought half a team to Houston, but that was enough to get a three-game sweep and conclude the Astros’ historic season with 15 straight losses.
They’re the first team since the 1899 Cleveland Spiders to lose their final 15 games.
The Astros ended up 51-111. They’re the 12th team since 1900 ever to lose 111 games. No team lost 110 from 1970-2000, but the 2003 Tigers went 43-119 and the 2004 Diamondbacks, like the Astros, finished 51-111.
The Astros do have a few league leaders. Chris Carter ended up with 212 strikeouts, the third highest total of all-time. He came up 11 short of the record set by Mark Reynolds of the Diamondbacks in 2009.
Jose Altuve led the AL by getting caught stealing 13 times. He also finished second in GIDPs with 24 and and fourth in outs made with 498. The Astros dominated the caught stealing category, with Brandon Barnes finishing tied for second and Jonathan Villar sneaking into a tie for seventh place despite not debuting until July 22.
Right-hander Lucas Harrell led the league in walks with 88 and losses with 16, though he was tied with Seattle’s Joe Saunders there. He reached those marks while making just 22 starts and 13 relief appearances.
The Astros did win something for all of their struggles, though. They’ll pick first overall in the MLB draft for the third straight year next June.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey land Lester 0
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 47
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)