Sep 29, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
The Yankees brought half a team to Houston, but that was enough to get a three-game sweep and conclude the Astros’ historic season with 15 straight losses.
They’re the first team since the 1899 Cleveland Spiders to lose their final 15 games.
The Astros ended up 51-111. They’re the 12th team since 1900 ever to lose 111 games. No team lost 110 from 1970-2000, but the 2003 Tigers went 43-119 and the 2004 Diamondbacks, like the Astros, finished 51-111.
The Astros do have a few league leaders. Chris Carter ended up with 212 strikeouts, the third highest total of all-time. He came up 11 short of the record set by Mark Reynolds of the Diamondbacks in 2009.
Jose Altuve led the AL by getting caught stealing 13 times. He also finished second in GIDPs with 24 and and fourth in outs made with 498. The Astros dominated the caught stealing category, with Brandon Barnes finishing tied for second and Jonathan Villar sneaking into a tie for seventh place despite not debuting until July 22.
Right-hander Lucas Harrell led the league in walks with 88 and losses with 16, though he was tied with Seattle’s Joe Saunders there. He reached those marks while making just 22 starts and 13 relief appearances.
The Astros did win something for all of their struggles, though. They’ll pick first overall in the MLB draft for the third straight year next June.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 29
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 8
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)