Sep 29, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan is reporting that the Rangers will activate outfielder Nelson Cruz in time for Monday’s Game 163 against the Rays. Cruz finished serving his 50-game suspension handed down by commissioner Bud Selig for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal.
Cruz left with an .841 OPS in 452 trips to the plate, ranking among the more productive outfielders in the league. Had he not been suspended, he almost certainly would have hit another seven home runs to surpass his career-high of 33. The Rangers acquired Alex Rios from the White Sox on August 9 to fill his shoes. Though Rios didn’t supply as much power, he added a speed dimension, stealing 16 bases in 17 attempts between his Rangers debut and the end of Sunday’s action.
Rangers president of baseball operations and general manager Jon Daniels did not say if Cruz would be in the lineup, stating that the decision is up to manager Ron Washington.
Meanwhile, Cruz is excited to be back. From Sullivan’s article:
“We’re playing really good baseball, and the guys are excited,” Cruz said. “I’m excited, and I’m happy to be back and be with my teammates and play the game that I love.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)