Sep 30, 2013, 6:39 PM EDT
Wouldn’t it be just Pittsburgh’s luck if likely NL MVP Andrew McCutchen got knocked out of the wild card game by a batting-practice accident?
Fortunately, it looks like he’ll avoid that fate, though he was hit in the head while shagging flyballs on Monday. McCutchen said he was distracted by a teammate when a ball off the bat of Jorge Mercer clipped him around his right ear.
McCutchen walked off the field on his own and deemed himself fine to play Tuesday. He added that he was “no snitch” when asked which player distracted him.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Paul Molitor remains the frontrunner.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
Not living up to a nickname: forgivable. Not giving your team a chance to win in the World Series: a way bigger problem.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:23 AM EDT
And to fight history: 15 of the last 17 Game 1 winners have gone on to win the World Series.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
It’s up to the rookie in Wednesday’s Game 2.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
The 2014 Royals have finally dropped a postseason game. And it was an ugly one for the home team.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Giants starter Madison Bumgarner was working on a shutout in Game 1 of the World Series on Wednesday night at Kauffman Stadium until Royals catcher Salvador Perez slugged a two-out solo shot over the left field fence.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Royals manager Ned Yost has gone to the bullpen early in Game 1 of the World Series, lifting starter James Shields after he allowed an RBI single to Giants designated hitter Michael Morse in the top of the fourth inning.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
The Giants exploded for three runs in the top of the first inning on singles by Gregor Blanco and Buster Posey, a double by Pablo Sandoval, and a Hunter Pence two-run homer to center field.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady posted this picture on his Facebook page this evening with a caption that reads “Gearing up to watch my hometown Giants in the World Series.”
Oct 21, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
Here’s a Royals pump-up video that MLB Advanced Media put together featuring the music of Motley Crue …
Oct 21, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
From Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca comes word that left-handed pitcher Mike Zagurski has officially agreed to a contract with the Hiroshima Carp of Nippon Professional Baseball.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Williams has pitched for seven different MLB teams in nine seasons, posting a combined 4.40 ERA in 891 career innings.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
That’s the same alignment the Royals used in the ALCS, when they swept the Orioles in four games.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Madison Bumgarner vs. James Shields.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Joe Posnanski looks at where they came from and just how dominant they’ve been.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Zimmer came into this season as a top-25 prospect according to Baseball America and MLB.com.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Now they just need a site. If you have a few hundred acres in the Palm Beach area, call Mark Lerner.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Mark Appel had a weird season, as the former No. 1 overall pick was awful at Single-A with a 9.74 ERA in 12 starts and then made headlines over the weird quasi-controversy of him throwing a bullpen session in Houston.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
So drunk that today’s editorial says that the taxpayer subsidies to renovate the place several years ago are all worth it. Um, yeah.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
He replaces rookie Christian Colon.
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 6
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 1
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 3
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 31
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)