Sep 30, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Dale Sveum seemed to know he was a goner as soon as team president Theo Epstein declined to comment on whether he’d be back for the final season of his contract in 2014 and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cubs have fired Sveum.
Sveum lasted two years with the Cubs, going 61-101 last season and 66-96 this season. Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer repeatedly stressed that the team’s record would not play a large factor in Sveum’s status, but in addition to all the losing there were also questions about how he dealt with young players and specifically shortstop Starlin Castro.
Ron Gardenhire is off the managerial market, re-signing with the Twins, but there’s been some speculation that the Cubs could make a run at Joe Girardi if he decides not to remain with the Yankees.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)