Sep 30, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Dale Sveum seemed to know he was a goner as soon as team president Theo Epstein declined to comment on whether he’d be back for the final season of his contract in 2014 and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cubs have fired Sveum.
Sveum lasted two years with the Cubs, going 61-101 last season and 66-96 this season. Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer repeatedly stressed that the team’s record would not play a large factor in Sveum’s status, but in addition to all the losing there were also questions about how he dealt with young players and specifically shortstop Starlin Castro.
Ron Gardenhire is off the managerial market, re-signing with the Twins, but there’s been some speculation that the Cubs could make a run at Joe Girardi if he decides not to remain with the Yankees.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)