Sep 30, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Dale Sveum seemed to know he was a goner as soon as team president Theo Epstein declined to comment on whether he’d be back for the final season of his contract in 2014 and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Cubs have fired Sveum.
Sveum lasted two years with the Cubs, going 61-101 last season and 66-96 this season. Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer repeatedly stressed that the team’s record would not play a large factor in Sveum’s status, but in addition to all the losing there were also questions about how he dealt with young players and specifically shortstop Starlin Castro.
Ron Gardenhire is off the managerial market, re-signing with the Twins, but there’s been some speculation that the Cubs could make a run at Joe Girardi if he decides not to remain with the Yankees.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)